Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Meatloaf  (Read 5042 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Kettle Meatloaf
« on: September 22, 2019, 04:56:16 PM »
3 pounds of 80/20 chuck and sausage.  Green peppers, onions, minced garlic.  Two eggs, Italian breadcrumbs, and some Parmesan.   S&P to taste.  Formed in a loaf pan lined with plastic wrap.  Dusted with my bbq rub for a good crust.  Cooked @325 with a hunk of hickory and apple.   No live pics because it got dark.  Glazed near the end with bbq sauce.    A great trip to flavortown! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Kettle Meatloaf
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 06:12:59 AM »
Dang that looks goooood!!! The mix sounds good and is making me drool!!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 06:17:17 AM »
Well darn if that meatloaf isn't sexy
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 06:29:30 AM »
I truly love meatloaf on the grill. It’s a fav. And that looks very very good !

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 06:40:48 AM »
https://youtu.be/rxnudUpciXA

My source of the recipe.  I really like Malcolm Reed’s videos.   They’re great for instruction and I love his passion for bbq.  He’s really inspired my own creativity. 

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 08:26:56 AM »
Do you take it out of the loaf pan before putting it on the grill? Or, if you take it out, does it dry out too much?
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 09:16:52 AM »
Meatloaf! Food of the gods, small g. Looks great!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 09:23:04 AM »
Do you take it out of the loaf pan before putting it on the grill? Or, if you take it out, does it dry out too much?
Yes.   I place it in the freezer for 15 minutes to firm it up.  I take it out of the loaf pan just before cooking and dust it with bbq rub on a cutting board with no juice gutter.  This allows me to slide it on the cooking grate.   With 80/20 meat, eggs, and all the veggies, it won’t dry out.  Plenty of moisture.  I also cook it at 300-325 all indirect.  I cooked it to 160.

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 02:46:49 PM »
Mmmm looks fantastic!!.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 07:29:49 PM by pancho2017 »

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 06:53:25 AM »
https://youtu.be/rxnudUpciXA

My source of the recipe.  I really like Malcolm Reed’s videos.   They’re great for instruction and I love his passion for bbq.  He’s really inspired my own creativity. 

I completely agree with you on Malcolm Reed!  There's a lot of work that goes into producing good cooking/grilling vids, and he and his wife do an amazing job at breaking down the prep, setup, cook and results -- all without any hint of arrogance or rigidity on how things "must" be done.  I also like the way he doesn't force his own products on you (which he would have every right to do) -- he always says "you don't have to use this rub/sauce - use your own recipe and do what you like".  Just a very approachable style that makes his vids stand out from others.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

Moose

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 07:26:24 PM »
These may be dumb questions, but here goes:

How are you guys doing long cooks on your kettles? I am not new to smoking things, just new to kettles, but my charcoal is normally burnt out by an hour in to the cook.

How long did you cook this for?

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Kettle Meatloaf
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 02:37:03 PM »
That’s not a dumb question at all.   That’s what this club is good at: Sharing information. 

This cooked for a little less than 2 hours.  I used half a chimney of unlit and poured a half a chimney of lit.   I let the grill warm up to 300 and put the meat on.  I then closed the bottom vent to 1/4 open with top wide open.  This ran steady at 325-350 for the whole cook. 

Moose

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 06:39:25 PM »
Thanks Michael- last question - did you grill indirect?

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 05:19:15 AM »
Thanks Michael- last question - did you grill indirect?

Yes.  All indirect using a slow an sear.  Some hickory and apple for smoke. 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Kettle Meatloaf
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 08:06:31 AM »
That’s not a dumb question at all.   That’s what this club is good at: Sharing information. 

This cooked for a little less than 2 hours.  I used half a chimney of unlit and poured a half a chimney of lit.   I let the grill warm up to 300 and put the meat on.  I then closed the bottom vent to 1/4 open with top wide open.  This ran steady at 325-350 for the whole cook. 

A good routine to get used too with or without the sns. I snuff the coals when finished, then next cook I give the coals a stir and light half a chimney and add to the unlit. It works for 90% of all the cooking I do. I like that your always working with a full bank of coals but your only firing up half a chimney which is twice as fast.

Obviously sometimes your adding more or less coals to start depending on how much coal you burned up previously but it just works out that most cooks are completed using half a chimney worth of fuel.

The meatloaf looks amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 08:11:30 AM by HoosierKettle »