Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Noob Intro  (Read 4786 times)

M635_Guy

• Smokey Joe
Re: Noob Intro
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 03:22:27 AM »
When you build that wood table you should sell me the one you take off for super cheap lol
I was talking about replacing the metal top, but now having used it a couple times I think a big-ish cutting board will probably be the answer in the short/medium term.  ;)   

Thinking I'll try a low&slow Boston Butt.  Seems like it's mainly an exercise in temperature control - Any nuances/gotchas I should be aware of?

wzywg

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 10:09:48 AM »
When you build that wood table you should sell me the one you take off for super cheap lol
Thinking I'll try a low&slow Boston Butt.  Seems like it's mainly an exercise in temperature control - Any nuances/gotchas I should be aware of?

Don't start too hot! It's much easier to start low and slow and keep it that way. I recommend placing a starter cube in the corner of a charcoal basket or banked setup and lighting a handful of coals, then close the vents as you get up to temp. My first time out, I lit way too many coals with a chimney starter and had a hard time getting the temps down. You only need a fistful of coals to hit 225-250. Thermometers are your friend. The Weber iGrill 2 w/ the ambient probe is amazing for smoking. Otherwise a cheapo oven thermometer on the grate and an instant read thermometer for the meat will suffice.

Edit: I just read that you have a maverick thermometer! Good buy :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:32:07 AM by wzywg »

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2019, 02:12:28 PM »
Welcome from Highland Park, IL (north of Chicago)! Better to get the grill than the heave-ho like I did after 20 years! A lot of things have changed in the workplace since we started 20+ years ago: Sweet pensions are being replaced with 401k's and meager employer matches, expectations of "being available constantly" due to email and "I need it now" culture, and face-to-face communication is becoming a lost art.  But I digress.... sounds like you're well on your way to some charcoal adventures! Welcome aboard!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again