Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Re-Riveting  (Read 753 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Re-Riveting
« on: September 16, 2019, 04:04:24 PM »
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has removed their double-riveted wood handles, and then re-riveted them with a hand operated rivet gun.  I have a couple of handles that would benefit from being refinished and then re-applied.  If this is doable, what size rivets would you use?  Thinking of making a trip to Harbor Freight.  Thanks.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Re-Riveting
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 04:27:14 PM »
Unfortunately, to keep it looking OEM, you’d need a tube rivet tool.  Not easy to come by for a reasonable price nowadays.  Tube rivets are cheap online + hardware stores still sell ‘em in the specialty bins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 05:19:50 PM »
Wow...you're right, those tools are not cheap...

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 06:10:33 PM »
@brewtownbeatdown I found another post about riveting handles with a vintage tool...would this vintage tubular riveter work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rivet-Press-by-the-Tubular-Rivet-Company/323911281139?hash=item4b6a9de9f3%3Ag%3AQeMAAOSwlk1dbqcD&LH_Auction=1

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 06:29:14 PM »
@crowderjd  I think that wouldn't work as to it's height. The tool needs to get under the handle and I don't think there's enough clearance. But then again, what do I know. Just my .02. Would love to do this as well.

https://www.rivetsonline.com/solid-rivet-semi-tubular-rivet-press-ci70r/cr-ci70r
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:33:30 PM by CatskillSmoker »

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 06:44:35 PM »
@crowderjd  I think that wouldn't work as to it's height. The tool needs to get under the handle and I don't think there's enough clearance. But then again, what do I know. Just my .02. Would love to do this as well.
I think Colin may be right about the clearance.  It’s worth a gamble if you can get it dirt cheap though.  I’ve had an idea percolating in my head, on how to make something that’d mimic the real deal, but keep letting it slip my mind.  I’ll have to try to make my idea a reality

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 06:55:22 PM »

https://www.rivetsonline.com/solid-rivet-semi-tubular-rivet-press-ci70r/cr-ci70r

The price for that one there is more than I am willing to pay...I found this OLD link to something different, and I may just run to Home Depot and get the 4mm screws and nuts.  I have some loose handles that are really bugging me, and I'd like to restore them. 

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?11071-removing-wooden-handle-(on-2-rivet-style)

@brewtownbeatdown I'd love to see what you have in mind.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 07:11:02 PM »

The price for that one there is more than I am willing to pay...I found this OLD link to something different, and I may just run to Home Depot and get the 4mm screws and nuts.  I have some loose handles that are really bugging me, and I'd like to restore them. 

@brewtownbeatdown I'd love to see what you have in mind.

I’ve refinished some spare HC handles for a HC kettle I restored.  I cut the heads off the original rivets & epoxied then on the screw heads once installed.  Looks original, so maybe that’d work with Weber rivets too[emoji848]

If my idea works, I’ll definitely share it. 

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 12:58:09 AM »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.