Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: !2 Hour Cook Without Adding Coals...  (Read 1334 times)

DanielCChamberlain

• Smokey Joe
!2 Hour Cook Without Adding Coals...
« on: September 14, 2019, 12:45:59 PM »
So, decided to really give it a test today.

Started at 5 a.m. with a snake in my new 26 inch Kettle. My snake is made up of 4 briquettes in each link of the snake. 2 flat, one on top, and the 4th on top leaning against the side of the kettle. Followed this pattern 3/4s around the kettle.

A.M. temps at 5 a.m. were cool, but the kettle was in the sun and as the day progressed the temp on the patio was low to mid 80s... The kettle maintained an almost perfect 250 unless I opened the lid.

Did a 10 pound pork butt, wrapped it at 160 and took it off the grill at 190 to let it rest.

As of 4 p.m., one hour shy of 12 hours, there is still probably 2 hours of coals left and I opened all the vents wide open just to see how long she goes. Right now she's holding at 300 in the shade. I'm thinking I'll get 13 hours...

I think I'll like this thing.

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
Re: !2 Hour Cook Without Adding Coals...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 12:40:21 PM »
Nice job any photos? I have a 26er and get pretty similar results also.I think the SnS is a bit overated as the snake is just as good or better imho

Sent from my SM-G970W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DanielCChamberlain

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 04:53:33 PM »
No photos... I take pictures of my big fish... but not my big butts... :)

auto180sx

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 02:44:57 PM »
Nice job any photos? I have a 26er and get pretty similar results also.I think the SnS is a bit overated as the snake is just as good or better imho

The only reason I want a SnS is for the sear.. I like the idea of getting all those hot coals into one spot.

DanielCChamberlain

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 03:57:11 AM »
I had plenty of bark on the exterior of the pork. Juicy, tender and smoky.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
!2 Hour Cook Without Adding Coals...
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 05:43:49 AM »

The only reason I want a SnS is for the sear.. I like the idea of getting all those hot coals into one spot.

A couple charcoal rails placed in line in the 26 is all you need to bank coals for searing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 06:27:09 AM by HoosierKettle »