Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone purchase a griddle top from these folks?  (Read 2075 times)

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Anyone purchase a griddle top from these folks?
« on: September 09, 2019, 08:30:56 AM »
I've been searching for a high-quality griddle top for my 22" that can simply take the place of the grill grate for when I want to make smashburgers for the fam.  I didn't see anything out there that matched what I was looking for until I came across this vendor:

http://theburnshopwf.com/custom-grill-grates/

Their products look good, but I'm wondering if anyone has purchased/used one of their griddles and can say whether it's worth the price.  I'm trying to avoid purchasing a smaller griddle to put on top of my grill grate as I'm certain the griddle will slip around while I'm trying to scrape those crispy edges up with the burgers.

Any help would be appreciated! Thx!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Anyone purchase a griddle top from these folks?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 08:57:55 AM »
I don't own one, but I have been thinking about it... The Griddle Grate with the removable center section. Haven't seen any reviews on their products... butt they look good!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 11:21:40 AM »
I liked the look of the solid one. I wouldn't want my eggs sliding off lol.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 11:22:29 AM »

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 11:38:48 AM »
I liked the look of the solid one. I wouldn't want my eggs sliding off lol.

Yeah, there is that  :) But I like the idea of having the center grate for grill marks on meats and such... not so much eggs...  ;D
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 12:04:35 PM »
I saw that one YardBurner - looks like a good compromise. 

I also saw this custom one for a 26" and asked them if they could put me in contact with who made it for them as it looks like a good design - fits on the grill directly, three sides to square up the work space, and holes to add more fuel and to scrape out the griddle into the bowl when you're finished.  I haven't heard from them though....

https://www.oakridgebbq.com/beef-sliders/

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 01:55:06 PM »
I use the Ballistic Griddle from Craycort and love it.  It locks perfectly into the Craycort grill grates and is easy to maintain.  However, that custom griddle for the 26" on the Oakridgebbq.com site is cool AF! 
https://www.cast-iron-grate.com/bbq-accessories/ballistic-griddles.html

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 07:13:33 AM »
Thanks Brain_STL - I like the lip along the back. Looks like I'd have to purchase the Craycort grill grate too in order to get that good lock?  It looks solid for sure.  I guess I should befriend a welder in the area!

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 03:52:47 AM »
I need to wire in a socket for my welder and try my hand at something like that oakridge one

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 12:48:33 PM »
UPDATE

The CEO of Oakridge BBQ (see above) got back to me and said he's searching for the contact info of the person who made their custom 26" griddle.  He's confident that he'll find it and will send me the info.

More to come......

Redwng

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 01:58:59 PM »
I have been using these from GrillGrates for searing anything on my Weber gas grill and love it. Works great for burgers, steaks and tuna. It is extruded aluminum so clean up is very easy. I used to mess with a couple cast iron grates and while they worked well the clean up and maintenance were a pain.   https://www.grillgrate.com/the-griddle/

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 06:35:11 AM »
Thanks Redwng -- those look pretty sweet for sure.  I hesitate to get something rectangular as I'm trying to get something that can integrate well with my 22" kettle.

In the meantime, welcome to the club!  The community is super helpful and has endless collective wisdom.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 07:24:55 AM »
That custom griddle is pretty awesome but I can only imagine how much of a beast it is to clean and reseason.  I hope you figure out who has it and that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 09:33:57 AM »
That custom griddle is pretty awesome but I can only imagine how much of a beast it is to clean and reseason.  I hope you figure out who has it and that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I'm sure it'd be reasonably priced and machine-washable!

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 08:03:15 AM »
UPDATE

The CEO of Oakridge BBQ (see above) got back to me and said he's searching for the contact info of the person who made their custom 26" griddle.  He's confident that he'll find it and will send me the info.

More to come......

UPDATE

The CEO of Oakridge found the contact info, sent it to me, and I reached out yesterday.  This morning, his wife replied and said he passed away. Definitely not what I was expecting, but I was simply amazed that she took the time to respond and so quickly.  I'm not sure when he passed, but his wife was super nice and said her sons could make one for me over the winter (they live in Florida). I told her I didn't want to bother her or her family under such circumstances, but I left the door open to seeing what they'd like to do when winter comes.

Anyway, that's the latest - I'll let everyone know what happens next!