Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: EO Code Restore?  (Read 376 times)

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
EO Code Restore?
« on: September 01, 2019, 01:48:20 PM »
Last Sunday I was driving back from an errand in our new minivan <sigh> when I noticed an older Kettle at the end of someone’s yard. I thought about it for a split second, and threw it in the back. It is an EO code (1995, right?). The wood handles are falling off of it and whenever I pick it up, a leg falls out of its place. It’s got some rust all over too. I’ve cleaned it up, put a new handle on it, and bought a cover for it. Right now, I’m using it to start my chimney. Needless to say, this old girl needs some love. Any advice on where to go next? I’ve never tried to restore one before.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: EO Code Restore?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 02:28:29 PM »
I think you can work a broom handle or something similar inside the leg to make it fit tighter, if that doesnt work I think people use that metal duct tape. Might keep your eyes peeled for a donor kettle with and ash pan.
There are some really good restoration threads here. If it were me I wouldn't put too much time and effort into it. Your gonna have nicer kettles in no time if you keep hanging out here lol
Do all of your vents move freely?

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 07:05:29 PM »
Thanks, @Walchit. I agree with you—doubt I’ll put much effort into it. I think she’ll spend her days with me lighting chimneys, donating her parts... and maybe as a planter for some jalapeños!

Yes, all of the vents move. Freely? They need some muscle to be put in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 07:14:46 PM »
I'd put something under it to catch the ashes/coals and cook some stuff!