Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP frame repair  (Read 1106 times)

avega2792

• WKC Brave
SSP frame repair
« on: September 01, 2019, 07:52:11 AM »
Has anybody repaired an SSP frame? The two bottom supports that run the length of the cart rusted away on an SSP I have and I was hoping there was an easy way to fix that. I went to look at square tubing but that was pricier than I had anticipated. I was also thinking of building a wooden frame and placing slats on top, that could probably strengthen the frame too.  Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
Re: SSP frame repair
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 08:01:47 AM »
Has anybody repaired an SSP frame? The two bottom supports that run the length of the cart rusted away on an SSP I have and I was hoping there was an easy way to fix that. I went to look at square tubing but that was pricier than I had anticipated. I was also thinking of building a wooden frame and placing slats on top, that could probably strengthen the frame too.  Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I repaired mine with square tubing (got it free with SSP). I used some plastic caps, all thread and acorn nuts to do the repair.
I know other guys used the star nuts but I couldn’t find any locally so this was my solution.
You can get the square tubing from HD or Lowe’s I believe for not too much $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 08:08:31 AM »
If you have a bike shop near you they will have star nuts, but the all thread may be a better choice. I wouldnt think that square tubing would be very expensive, but I could be wrong. Maybe find something to scavenge some tubing from.
I used round 1-1/8 star nuts and used a grinder to square them up. The only problem ive had is not being able to find stainless metric bolts, I may need to order some.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 08:13:18 AM by Walchit »

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 08:15:15 AM »
MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 09:16:33 AM »
That aluminum tube is a decent price. It was going for more at Menard’s so I guess I’ll have to go check out HD. Thanks for the input!

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 09:27:49 AM »
If you live in any decent sized city there should be someone that will sell you metal by the foot. I would think it would be cheaper than that even.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 10:15:17 AM »

If you live in any decent sized city there should be someone that will sell you metal by the foot. I would think it would be cheaper than that even.

I definitely fall into the cheapskate category so I’ll have to look around for better prices. In the near future I might also want to make a a mini ranch out of my 26er.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »
If there is a metal store near you go there.  If not gamut.com I have bought from once and they seem reasonable and have quick shipping. I tried to buy once piece of steal from HD once and felt like I was getting ripped off.  Fortunately the father in law had some scrap that was usable so I returned it.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 01:08:36 PM »
I left an ISO post on a local online garage sale group and I might be getting some for free on Tuesday.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »
Nice!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 01:28:06 PM »
I'll try and dig up a link when I get home, but McMaster Carr sells square tube inserts that work as eell

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 10:18:48 AM »
I'll try and dig up a link when I get home, but McMaster Carr sells square tube inserts that work as eell

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Please do! I need to fix this genesis frame too

Evochuck

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 07:33:43 PM »
This is what I used to repair my Genesis Crossmember

https://www.mcmaster.com/tube-inserts

Before:

After:

Anyone can order from Mcmaster, just think of a company name and a PO number.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 01:33:32 AM »
Which size did you get? That's a pretty good deal

Evochuck

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 02:30:32 AM »
I got 1 inch OD square tube stock for a local hw store, have enough for 2 crossmember repairs. I then bought the 1 inch corresponding inserts. For 1/4 bolts .
Which size did you get? That's a pretty good deal

Sent from my MIX 3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:17:05 AM by Evochuck »