Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Connecting large propane tank to new Performer Deluxe  (Read 652 times)

CV25

• Happy Cooker
Connecting large propane tank to new Performer Deluxe
« on: August 09, 2019, 01:41:21 PM »
I bought a new Performer Deluxe a few weeks ago and I would like to connect a large propane tank to it rather than using the small green bottles that are common. I called Weber and asked if the adapter hose used to connect a gas Q grill to a large propane tank would also work on the Performer and they said it would not work. They also told me there is not an adapter hose available that will allow the Performer to be used with the large tank.

Surely someone has done this before. I hate disposing of all those small green bottles when I could just refill or exchange a large tank once a year or so. Does anyone have any experience doing this on the newest generation Performers?

Thanks for your help!   

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Connecting large propane tank to new Performer Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 01:44:05 PM »
You could try to find parts for the gas assist that the SSP uses. I believe it uses a small 5 or 10 lb refillable tank. Someone else here might have some more experience in the similarities and differences between the SSP and later gens of gas assist.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 02:16:20 PM »
Got an adapter on all of my performers with no problems. You  can also easily refill the small tank yourself by getting an adapter  to fill it up from a 20# tank.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 04:02:44 PM by Jules V. »

CV25

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 02:43:20 PM »
I actually have an old SSP with the small 5 pound tank and like that set-up much better than the new grill with the small, disposable tanks. That's why I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to safely connect a simple adapter hose from the new grill to a large tank without blowing myself up in the process.

I don't understand why the 6501 adapter hose used on the Q can't be used on the Performer since the fittings are the same on both ends.

Jules V - you replied while I was typing. Where did you get the afaptor hose and how does it differ from Weber's 6501 hose that is used to connect a Q gas grill to a large tank? Did you have to make any other mods? Also, that's quite the collection of Performers!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 03:55:15 PM »
I actually have an old SSP with the small 5 pound tank and like that set-up much better than the new grill with the small, disposable tanks. That's why I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to safely connect a simple adapter hose from the new grill to a large tank without blowing myself up in the process.

I don't understand why the 6501 adapter hose used on the Q can't be used on the Performer since the fittings are the same on both ends.

Jules V - you replied while I was typing. Where did you get the afaptor hose and how does it differ from Weber's 6501 hose that is used to connect a Q gas grill to a large tank? Did you have to make any other mods? Also, that's quite the collection of Performers!
All those adapters are the same. Weber  just doesn't want people connecting a large hose thru the 1lb regulator. Maybe it has something to do with safety or reliability issues.  There are actually quite a few people using them but haven't heard or seen any issues yet.

The bayou classic usually fluctuates in prices @ $14-$28.
Bayou Classic MCR1 Adapter Hose LP 4FT MfrPartNo MCRI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M26G432/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OAGtDb70EBQE2
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:57:12 PM by Jules V. »

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 10:48:45 PM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=weber+q+hose&oq=weber+q+hose&aqs=chrome..69i57.11114j0j4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#lbl=OVERVIEW&pie=plaji-i.

Sorry for the link link. This is even a Weber part!!!! 

Maybe they didn't understand the question.
We can only hope.
Listed as a Q hose.

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 04:14:27 AM »

All those adapters are the same. Weber  just doesn't want people connecting a large hose thru the 1lb regulator. Maybe it has something to do with safety or reliability issues.  There are actually quite a few people using them but haven't heard or seen any issues yet.

The bayou classic usually fluctuates in prices @ $14-$28.
Bayou Classic MCR1 Adapter Hose LP 4FT MfrPartNo MCRI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M26G432/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OAGtDb70EBQE2

If Jules says the SS Adapter Hose he posted works that is what I would get.  The Q hose actually costs more NIB and is of lesser quality in the quick look I gave it.  I was actually going to get around to asking Jules what adapter hose he was using, but you both beat me to it!
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

CV25

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 11:56:19 AM »
Yardburner - The Weber 6501 hose you listed is the same hose I originally asked Weber about using with the Performer. They are adamant that the 6501 hose will not work and shouldn't be used with the Performer.

Their answer doesn't make much sense since the 6501 hose is essentially the same thing as the hose Jules is using, just lesser quality and more expensive. Weber is supposed to follow up with me on Monday and provide a better explanation as to why they don't recommend using an adapter hose with the Performer. If they do provide an answer, I'll add it to this thread.

Also, I ran into a neighbor last night who has a Performer and asked him this same question. He said he went to Lowes and bought a Char Broil extension hose (again, virtually identical to Weber's 6501 hose) and he's had his Performer connected to a 20 lb. tank for about three years now without any problems.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 03:26:13 PM »
I don't know what the problem would be.  The regulator is built into the grill.
Plus with the larger tank you have TWO shut off valves.  I use the same style hose with my Coleman stoves.
We have 2 set up almost permanently in our grilling area.

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app