Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rust by Handle  (Read 409 times)

mieds

• Happy Cooker
Rust by Handle
« on: August 07, 2019, 12:40:36 PM »
I need to give my gen 2 Performer a deep cleaning.  I noticed small rust spots by the handle on the lid.  What can I do to remove it and prevent further rusting?  Or, is this not something to worry about?  Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rust by Handle
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 12:48:15 PM »
Most people would use some 0000 steel wool with a cleaner like dish soap and scrub it off. 

Another method is to use a rust removing chemical like evaporust, but you want to be absolutely certain that it is only surface rust on a welded part of the kettle like the handle. If there is rust through the chemical could eat so much that it makes the weld weak or gone.  Or If there is rust under the porceline it could cause chipping.

After you remove the rust you can use touch up paint if it is black.  If it is another color you can try paint but it will eventually turn black with heat.  Many here would just use some type of cooking oil and heat to season the bare metal.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Rust by Handle
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 05:38:27 PM »
Yeah I’d just clean it up with steel wool then use some cooking oil when the grill is hot to season the spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.