Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Swine Xylophone / Hot & Fast  (Read 4434 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Swine Xylophone / Hot & Fast
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:52:29 AM »
This is a re-print from awhlie ago, but is the same basic method for doing the braized-in-foil ribs with BBQ sauce & pickle juice that I've talked about before...........
Yes, I save  the juice at the end of the pickle jar, dump it into a larger container & into the fridge, all flavors together, then mix 50/ 50 (approx.) w/BBQ sauce & into the foil packet as below.....EXTRA GOOD !!!!

Ok, I think I'm in the right place  ~~>

HOT & FAST... Right ?? 

The wife has been putting up all different kinds of jellies & came up with a real winner
( one among several, actually)

She got to a certain point & asked me what color it would come out if she added a bit of
green food coloring in...Not Sure, I say as it was kind of a light purple at that point...

Used mostly purple basil & with that addition, it turned a gorgeous rich rose color.......

Basil jelly ~~>

Ever since it was sitting on the table setting up, we've been talking about using it for a glaze
or something related on BBQ...

So ribs was what I thought ~~~>
1st a quick trim to St. Lou's
Then a fairly lite coating of granulated garlic ~~>

Then the JELLY !!

Tips in a small separate packet...

These are braized in foil, then crisped out of foil the last part of the cook , coals like so ~~>

Started @ 275° for 3/4 hr & then opened up the bottom vents most of the way to run up to
325° ~ 350° for an hour & 15 min. .....
They look pretty anemic at this point ~~>

Out of the foil with some fairly thin
baste / glaze saved out ~~>

After the 'Hot' hour, the coals are calmed enough to drop down to a steady 260°
& it stayed there for another 45 -50 minutes, glazing every 8-10 minutes ~~~>

Let them go as the coals dropped 260 / 250 / 240 / down to 215  at about 3 hr- 45 min.

Looks done to me, 120° bend with no crack ~~~>
( Must be the jelly that makes 'em do that)

Result: Not too bad, but the basil taste didn't really come thru like I thought it might.....
the jelly is really fragrant

Kinda like those ribs you get at the Chinese buffet, only quite a bit more moist & tender
as they haven't sat in a steam pan for 6 hours...

Need to come up with a more densely flavored & thicker glaze to add to the ending part of the cook....

Hot & Fart (< typed that accidentally :oops: ) worked OK, were plenty tender compared to slow cooked....

Couldn't have been too bad, as me & the dawgs ate all of them except that big one on the end.... :D

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
Re: Swine Xylophone / Hot & Fast
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 07:19:01 AM »
Hot & Fart.....What part of this cook was fragrant ?!  :D And all this time I thought it was the atmosphere causing the wind when I was grilling! :o Somebody stop me.....I crack myself up!. You made my day with that post....still laughing. The ribs look good.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 07:22:59 AM »
"Hot & Fart.....What part of this cook was fragrant ?!"

I type really fast w/ one finger.....sometimes I catch up & even get ahead of myself....... 8)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 08:39:21 PM »
Those ribs look perfect!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:09:38 PM »
Buckie, we and our wives should hang out. Mine loves making all these frangranty jellies like mint blueberry and balsamic pepper raspberry! Nice experimenting!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 04:40:50 AM »
Wow...that looks good.  My mouth is watering.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:21:41 AM »
Buckie, we and our wives should hang out. Mine loves making all these frangranty jellies like mint blueberry and balsamic pepper raspberry! Nice experimenting!

She's in the kitchen setting up to do ( pickled, I think) corn relish right now......kinda grumpy, I'll stay in here...... :o

Stu & Duke, the braize 1st & ask questions later method works really good if A) you think out your combination of hi-powered additives beforehand & B) you don't go too long in the foil, as they will just tenderize to the melting point & come completely unglued if you go too long.......
The pickle juice & BBQ sauce works great done like this, but again, don't overdo it in the foil......
Optimum ending for this event is to have the liquid penetrate all the way thru the meat & then not go much farther......completely seasoned by the cooking, not rib mush......

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 10:39:57 AM »
Looks good, but what about throwing some apple wood chunks on there?  Pork and apple + that jelly could go very well together. 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 01:41:42 PM »

Thought about it Max as I'll smoke way more than not, but certain things I want to find out what the flavor's like  with just the marinade / rub / method, then on subsequent cooks, start adding in smoke to change it.....pulled tri-tip, long burn, is another example.....don't want to overpower the rub / injection combination with smoke......things can get too busy, I've found.........