Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Removing riveted handles without damaging them  (Read 420 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Removing riveted handles without damaging them
« on: August 06, 2019, 06:05:28 PM »
Any tips for removing the original two rivet handles without damaging the wood handles? 

From what I recall seeing on one that had handles missing, but rivets still there, this did not look like a normal "just drill out the end of the rivet a little bit & the whole thing will easily come out" or is that actually the case here?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 06:07:30 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Removing riveted handles without damaging them
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 06:41:37 PM »
My first Patent Pending redhead was missing the wood handle but the rivets were still attached. I used a pair of pliers and a small Milwaukee saw/knife to cut the top part of the rivet off. Then the new handles and screws went on.

In my opinion, if the original wood is still there I’d leave it as is. I lightly sand the handles then I do several coats of tung oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 07:11:31 PM »
My thought was to remove some nice vintage handles from a donor lid and put them on basically a nicer lid where the wood is missing. 

I am aware that I can buy brand new after market handles that are very nice, but not quite what I'm looking for in this particular instance. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 07:13:16 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 07:36:08 PM »
If the rivet is loose it can be very tough drilling it out without damaging the wood handle. You'll have to find a way to prevent the rivet from spinning without marring the bottom portion of the handle.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 03:13:19 AM »
Thanks.  I knew there was a reason I asked.
regards,
Hal