Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stainless hardware for lid bale and gas assist  (Read 620 times)

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Stainless hardware for lid bale and gas assist
« on: August 06, 2019, 12:24:52 PM »
My bale rollers were melted and had some little washers with notches cut out of them, but I didn't know and got them with the grinder.

What stainless hardware do I need to attach the lid bale, and gas assist? Washers on the inside? What do you guys get?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Stainless hardware for lid bale and gas assist
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 02:03:52 PM »
1/4-20 nuts and bolts. 

Here's a proper way of installing the lid bale. A regular washer  and 1" fender washer.

Nut, washer, 1" fender washer.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 10:29:09 PM by Jules V. »

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: Stainless hardware for lid bale and gas assist
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 07:53:32 PM »
So on the lid bale side its just a 1/4 washer then a fender washer, and the little bumps on the lid bale tighten it?

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 08:12:19 PM »
So on the lid bale side its just a 1/4 washer then a fender washer, and the little bumps on the lid bale tighten it?
Yes.  The fender washer spread out the pressure on the bowl  when tightening the nut which helps to prevent porcelain chipping.  Also, you need to slightly deform the fender washer so it mimics the contour of the bowl.  You do this by placing the fender washer on a piece of wood such as a 2"x4" and lightly tapping the center of the washer with a ball peen hammer.  Repeat if necessary until the curvature of the washer matches the bowl.

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 08:54:56 PM »
Before you spend $500 for the hardware needed for this project you might check Lowes they sell just small quantities of stainless steel hardware for a little cheaper.

Or Amazon has a 2500+ piece set with metal bins for only $379 with free shipping if you're starting a lid bale repair shop.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 12:20:01 AM »
I should see if Lowe's has metric stainless bolts, that are long enough to go in the star nuts.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 04:12:45 AM »
Before you spend $500 for the hardware needed for this project you might check Lowes they sell just small quantities of stainless steel hardware for a little cheaper.

Or Amazon has a 2500+ piece set with metal bins for only $379 with free shipping if you're starting a lid bale repair shop.

I would just get in the habit of when you need SS hardware for a Weber and you can get a 25 or 50 pack or whatever do.  Often times places sell their hardware individually and it can cost $0.50 to $1.50 per piece and that isn't a good deal if you are going to keep buying and repairing grills.  Buy the big pack and save some time and money when running to the hardware store.  Sometimes it can be found on amazon as well, but you have to know exactly what you are after. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.