Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First rebuild forced upon me.  (Read 606 times)

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
First rebuild forced upon me.
« on: August 06, 2019, 05:38:15 AM »
Last fall we had a big wind storm in Massachuttes that blew my daily cooker, a green 2015 performer deluxe, off my grill deck. I was so surprised that it was even possible as it had a full bag of charcoal in the charcoal basket and leftover coal in the bowl, but the wind caught it just right and flipped it over. All the extra weight couldn't hold the grill on the deck, but it did a great job denting the lid and bowl.

Luckily I have a second grill, a stainless steel performer that I bought years ago for $75 with the aim of rehabbing/modding. All the parts for that project are hanging around but I never got around to carrying through on my vision. I used it to cover top grill duty while green was out of commission. Did some tasty Peking duck on fathers day. Gotta say after spending some quality time with the old performer I love it. Such a classic.

Well, I finally got around to picking up the parts to fix green. Got a new bowl and ash sweep from Weber, a new leg brace from amazon, and started to tear the whole thing apart. Hammered out the dent in the cover and cleaned everything up before assembling with the new bowl. I got it all back together in time to smoke some ribs and brisket this past weekend.

This was my first rehab and I had a blast. Hopefully, I use this momentum and finally start my mods I had planned for the ss performer.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 06:03:49 AM by Jtayres »
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
Re: First rebuild forced upon me.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 05:44:06 AM »
for some reason, it won't let me add all the photos. I'll try to post more soon.
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 06:13:36 AM »
Wow, that must have been a heck of a windstorm to blow away a performer that's been weighed down with one and a bit bags worth of charcoal.  It's unfortunate about the damage to the barbecue but it does at come with a good war story about how it got to be in that condition.  I'm glad the rehab work turned out well and hopefully the problem with getting all the pictures posted goes away because I'd love to see them.

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 06:21:37 AM »
Downloaded Tapatalk, let’s see if that fixes the photo upload problems

The ss cooking up some Peking duck (notice the pile of old charcoal on the ground to the left. That's what got dumped from inside the bowl when green flipped):

Green cleaned up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 07:01:38 AM by Jtayres »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 08:33:58 AM »
That green turned out real good, love the classic SSP and the food looks awesome
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 10:06:28 AM »
Strap that ssp down or something!

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 10:45:04 AM »
That green turned out real good, love the classic SSP and the food looks awesome

Thanks! It was a great welcome back cook for green.

Strap that ssp down or something!

Hahaha. I normally have the ssp closer to the house which protected it during that wind storm. But after that storm, I am wondering if I should bolt both down!

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 11:59:12 AM »
Food looks awesome. Nice job on the rebuild. RRR