Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: wsm vs 26"  (Read 821 times)

Chesterkettle

• Smokey Joe
wsm vs 26"
« on: August 05, 2019, 12:06:41 PM »
I've been looking to get something with more grill space than my 22" kettle, and thought the 26 was the next logical step. But then I started looking at these WSMs and thinking that THIS is the way to go. I don't do a lot of smoking, but instead do a lot of indirect cooking. On a kettle, you only get a portion of the grate, but on a WSM, wouldn't the ENTIRE grate be "indirect" since its so far from the coals and separated by the water pan? Plus, the WSM has 2 cooking levels, so not only would I be able to use the entire surface area for indirect, I'd get TWO! That's WAY more real estate than the 26" kettle, no?

Can someone offer some advice on this? I know that it would be a little more cumbersome to sear on the WSM, but I've seen online where folks put a grate directly on top of the coals.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: wsm vs 26"
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 12:24:41 PM »
I have a 26 kettle and a 18 wsm. I would advise getting a 26 all day long. Wsm is designed to catch water. The 26 will cook right through the rain. A 26” is just all around more convenient to use imo. And I really like the wsm but if I had to choose....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 12:25:49 PM »
Or I would get an extender ring for the 22 like Jules before a wsm.

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 12:45:25 PM »
I just debated this myself. Picked up a 26. Time will tell if I made the right call.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 01:47:28 PM »
When cooking in the rain, or leaving outside between cooks, flip the center section upside-down in the assembly & you won't get the water collection (the lid & base will both still fit on a center section that is flipped upside down).  The bowl you save from rusting out, may be your own.

I have a 26 kettle and a 18 wsm. I would advise getting a 26 all day long. Wsm is designed to catch water. The 26 will cook right through the rain. A 26” is just all around more convenient to use imo. And I really like the wsm but if I had to choose....

regards,
Hal

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
wsm vs 26"
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 03:25:00 PM »
I just debated this myself. Picked up a 26. Time will tell if I made the right call.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Curiosity will kill you and you will have both soon. The wsm is a solid choice and a miracle worker for unattended long low and slow. It’s also great for hanging.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
wsm vs 26"
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 04:15:42 PM »
I'm a minority here since i have almost zero interest in a 22 wsm or 26 kettle.  Had both but got rid of them in favor of stackers.  I use a stacker for almost any type of cooks which includes vortex chicken, steaks  etc. Haven't used my kettle without a stacker for more than 3 months. 

Covers all of my cooking needs. 

A properly implemented stacker gets you consistent and stable temperatures from top to bottom.

No problem getting past 600F at the  cooking grate perimeter.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:46:36 PM by Jules V. »

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 09:18:28 PM »
Jules goes a different path. That's cool. That's what makes this a great place.

I'd probably do stacker's like that if I could. I have a 22WSM and multiple 26'ers.

Day in, day out cooking...26'er no doubt about it get's the nod.  I've done ribs and a small packer brisket with it. The only Weber I'd pay full retail for if I had to. If I could have one cooker...it would be a 26'er. On the other hand...I LOVE my 22WSM. Those two get used the most. I use my 22WSM much like how @Jules V. uses his stackers. The food just isn't exceptional...it's award winning. I rock it hot and fast and the food is incredible. Maybe I didn't make it easier for you. Sorry!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 09:20:30 PM by Mike in Roseville »

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 04:11:08 AM »
Jules goes a different path. That's cool. That's what makes this a great place.

I'd probably do stacker's like that if I could. I have a 22WSM and multiple 26'ers.

Day in, day out cooking...26'er no doubt about it get's the nod.  I've done ribs and a small packer brisket with it. The only Weber I'd pay full retail for if I had to. If I could have one cooker...it would be a 26'er. On the other hand...I LOVE my 22WSM. Those two get used the most. I use my 22WSM much like how @Jules V. uses his stackers. The food just isn't exceptional...it's award winning. I rock it hot and fast and the food is incredible. Maybe I didn't make it easier for you. Sorry!

I think what Mike is saying is just buy both. lol  I see benefits to the WSM and the stackers depending on your situation.  Personally, if it were up to me I would buy the 26er and keep an eye out for a good deal on s 22 WSM if I had the space for one.  With limited space I might look into the stackers like Jules V as it takes up less floor space and looks pretty cool. 

If you are patient there are plenty of WSM that hit marketplace in the $200 to $300 range (maybe cheaper if you are lucky) that have absolutely nothing wrong with them.  Much better than paying $400 plus tax. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 04:18:51 AM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 04:27:03 AM »
26 for the versatility and easy of use relative to wsm. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk