Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Using ceramic heat diffuser plate to mimic kamado as a smoker  (Read 1699 times)

DaveInLA

• Happy Cooker
Using ceramic heat diffuser plate to mimic kamado as a smoker
« on: August 04, 2019, 11:23:05 PM »
I’ve recently been more interested in smoking with the Weber. I have the SnS that makes perfectly good smoked ribs and chicken parts, but the SnS takes a good portion of the cooking grate real estate and I want to prep for the time(s) I need to cook more than just 1 rack of ribs. I am tempted to do something longer like a pork butt or pork belly. Probably no brisket for me, though. Too big.
Here are the options I’ve imagined.

First, to do 2 or maybe 3 racks of ribs, I could get a rib rack and use the SnS still. The issue I have with this is that the one closest to the coals will cook faster. I suppose I could just rotate them 2-3 hours in, but where’s the fun in that?

Another alternative I thought about is getting a half moon raised grate (warming rack) to put the 2nd rack of ribs. Maybe worse than the first option, I’ve read that the temp 3-4” above the cooking grate is 50+ deg hotter than on main grate level.

I’ve recently been intrigued with kamados and have been tempted to get one, but it’s not the right time for it due to cost and lack of sufficient patio space. Instead, I’ve been thinking of ways to mimic the kamado experience with a ceramic heat diffuser. I do have a Kettle Pizza with the ceramic “tombstone” and tried various arrangements to use it, but I haven’t actually fired it up using the stone... yet.

One option I thought of is to elevate the tombstone above the charcoal grate with ~3.5” bricks and pile the coals in the middle of the bricks, then place the cooking grate above the tombstone. I measured the distance between the stone and the cooking grate, it’s only 1/2” or so, which I’m worried will generate too much heat below the meat and char it from below. On the other hand, the BBQ Dragon stone is a similar distance.

To further the distance between stone and meat, I placed my Jumbo Joe grate upside down on top of the main grate; the handles elevate the cooking surface about 1.5” so the meat will be about 2” above the ceramic plate. The main downside is that the cooking grate is only around 3 inches below the top of the dome— which may work for ribs (maybe even advantageous) but not for anything else.

I also have a rotisserie kit for the 22” kettle. It’s not the Weber one, it’s the OnlyFire knockoff. The fit isn’t great, but I can place it on the Weber to add height like the WSM, and cover any holes/gaps with aluminum foil to limit smoke/heat loss. I can place the tombstone on the bricks, place a water pan for moisture and to catch drippings on the original cooking grate, and place a 2nd grate inside the rotisserie apparatus (there are small bolts in there that support a 2nd grill and elevate it maybe 2” above the original grate). The main advantage of this set-up is the added distance between plate and meat, and the addition of the water/drippings pan. Main disadvantage is I would have to buy a 2nd grate. And, of course, adding more coals.

My main concerns revolve around the Kettle Pizza tombstone. It’s a bit small at ~15 x 16”, but it is squarish so it’s a little larger than a 15-16” round plate. The charcoal grate is 17”, so that means the coals can potentially extend beyond the diameter of the heat diffuser, which I understand is not ideal. On the other hand, it would likely only happen at the very end of a cook, if at all (especially in short cooks). I also worry about cracking the tombstone as it is hard to find a replacement without getting the whole set. Maybe I should buy another (larger) stone like the BBQ Dragon? It’s $50 and same cordierite as the Kettle pizza stone, but at least it’s easier to replace. But I don’t like that large opening; it’s meant for refueling, but it doesn’t help in this situation.

What do you guys think of these ideas? They may be a bit overkill but to me that’s part of the fun. Maybe I can just pony up the $100 and get the Aura kettle zone system? Other than cost I still don’t like that the ceramic is so close to the meat.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: Using ceramic heat diffuser plate to mimic kamado as a smoker
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 11:57:38 PM »
What is your budget and do you have  or want a rotisserie?  I might have a much better solution than those that you mentioned.

DaveInLA

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 12:17:10 AM »

What is your budget and do you have  or want a rotisserie?  I might have a much better solution than those that you mentioned.

I have a rotisserie kit already.

Budget is as little as possible. No specific number. What do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 12:55:39 AM »
Since you already have a rotisserie, it will not cost you much. Use the ring as stacker by placing  nut/bolts toward the top and bottom of the ring. The top bolts will hold your cooking grate and the bottom bolts either a second cooking grate or diffuser. Diffuser can also be placed directly on top of the existing cooking grate or can be easily propped up slightly higher.
You will need to fabricate a stainless plates to cover the spit holes to prevent air leaks. 
Your options for diffusers are on the photos below.

Aluminum stockpot lid.

Covered with foil for easy clean up.

This is a much taller stacker just to give you an idea how it looks. 

Another option for a diffuser,  homemade variation of a Hunsaker diffuser.  Works equally well if not better. Flavor profile will be totally different, similar to cooking/smoking direct over coals.
Photo is on a 14" stacker.

With either diffuser you will be able to use snake or minion. Cooking grate will be fully utilized. 
Just let me know if you need more photos.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 12:57:32 AM by Jules V. »

DaveInLA

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 11:53:46 AM »
Way cool setup. I saw your post on the ribs.

Since mine is a 22, it’s a lot harder to find a huge metal plate or lid. The rotisserie ring already has bolts in place that can be used to hold another cooking grate. My concern is that the grate will be too low and it’ll require too much burning fuel to keep that level at cooking temp, especially with all the heat loss this non-insulated rotisserie apparatus will have. Do you think the grate is too low? (Pic 1)

My ultimate plan is to hold the ceramic plate with the existing cooking grate (Pic 2). Until I get another grate, I can just hold the ceramic plate in place with the bricks. (Pic 3) Do you think this tombstone is too small to be an effective heat diffuser? It’s around 15 x 16” and as a reference, the charcoal grate is 17”. Will too much direct heat rise around the sides of the stone?

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 01:10:11 PM »
Another thought, use a 22 AS a diffuser...

Dude, relax your chicken.

DaveInLA

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 01:31:13 PM »

Another thought, use a 22 AS a diffuser...

This is trippy!
So you put the coals in the 18 (or is it 14?)and then place the 22 bowl into the 18? You left the 22’s bottom vents mostly closed? Wood in the 18 with the coals, or in the 22?

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 01:42:01 PM »
A snake is running on the 18 charcoal grate. No cooking grate.

The 22 is a three wheeler, minus vents and sockets, and it sits on the 18.

Just using the cooking grate in the 22, but you could probably add an elevated grate as well.

The 22 is essentially dedicated as a smoker, but the 18 is still intact.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 01:46:16 PM by dazzo »
Dude, relax your chicken.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 03:54:58 PM »
All my grills are 22. Looks like you have the wrong type of rotisserie ring to be used as an effective smoker.  Those are just too leaky so it can be very tough maintaining temperature.  The cooking grate is also in the wrong place, should be higher. 
As far as your ceramic diffuser, I'm not too fond of its shape. A round diffuser will also give you a more consist temperature throughout the cooking grate. 

18" lid available at restaurant supply store for about $20.

Diffuser can be placed either on the  lower grate of the ring or on top of the existing grate.

Cooking grate installed toward the top of the ring.

Cover for spit holes.

Wing nut on the outside for easy removal.

This type of ring lip is what you want. Much more airtight.

DaveInLA

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 07:23:36 PM »
Jules, where did you get that stacker? It’s not the Cajun Bandit one, right? I know barbecuestacker makes another one. I don’t know of any others.

Also, how thick is your 18” lid diffuser? Amazon sells some aluminum ones for cheap, but they’re quite thin. What do you think if those?

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 08:54:30 PM »
That stacker in the photo is a re-purposed Caliente stacker.  I use  it for smoking and rotisserie, single or double stacked. Also use it for Vortex chicken etc.  Also got 3 stackers from Spitfire Grilling  that are 14" tall. 
The stock pot lid is 16 gauge aluminum.  Thick enough for low & slow. For hot & fast, i use a secondary diffuser under the stock pot lid.

These are the 9" Caliente stackers.

14" tall Spitfire Grilling stackers. 

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 03:18:05 PM »
I don't see the Spitfire for sale anywhere
That stacker in the photo is a re-purposed Caliente stacker.  I use  it for smoking and rotisserie, single or double stacked. Also use it for Vortex chicken etc.  Also got 3 stackers from Spitfire Grilling  that are 14" tall. 
The stock pot lid is 16 gauge aluminum.  Thick enough for low & slow. For hot & fast, i use a secondary diffuser under the stock pot lid.

These are the 9" Caliente stackers.

14" tall Spitfire Grilling stackers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app