Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First restoration project  (Read 739 times)

Jimmy McGoose

• Smokey Joe
First restoration project
« on: August 03, 2019, 12:48:45 AM »
I’ve been after a second kettle for a while and narrowly missed out on a performer before finally snagging a 2001 one touch platinum that’s seen better days and a 2010 one touch premium.

My current model is a 2015 master touch which I love, especially the height so I’m aiming to try and raise the height of the platinum somehow. I’m also in two minds about the wheels. I like the look of the older style but one of the wheels is missing an end cap. The newer style would also match my MT.

Plan A was to just scrap the platinum bowl and put in the premium and clean it all up but now I quite like the idea of keeping both and having a nice black trio of different models.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First restoration project
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 01:52:13 AM »
Nice set of triplets

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Jimmy McGoose

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 04:27:20 AM »
That’s what I thought, will only work if the platinum’s bowl isn’t too bad. That means I’ll need to shell out for a new ashcatcher and sweeper!

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 06:19:19 AM »
Don't shell out, just keep watching for another one. My buddy just got a silver for 15 bucks last night, its an ad code but like brand new, and that's cheaper than buying sweeps!

Jimmy McGoose

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 07:50:04 AM »
So the bowl on the platinum was shot. Completely rusted through in several places so past saving. However I did see a YouTube video of one of the members and he used a bowl as a planter so may keep it for that!

After a clean up I’ve mounted the premium onto the platinum frame. It’s quite handy that it has two handles so it sits on quite nicely and should be easy to fix on properly. The main thing I need to do is add the lid roller. Any thoughts on going about that? Is it easy enough to drill the holes through without splintering the porcelain?

This is my setup for now!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »
While I have yet to drill, a trick for ceramic tile is to take two pieces of painters tape & basically mark an x with them.  I guess that way you get a double-layer & it helps keep your drill bit from skipping around on the smooth surface when you are first trying to drill.

One time I asked if you do the same thing for drilling on a porcelain kettle, I received a somewhat unclear answer that I suspect meant "yes".
regards,
Hal

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 05:19:31 PM »
While I have yet to drill, a trick for ceramic tile is to take two pieces of painters tape & basically mark an x with them.  I guess that way you get a double-layer & it helps keep your drill bit from skipping around on the smooth surface when you are first trying to drill.

One time I asked if you do the same thing for drilling on a porcelain kettle, I received a somewhat unclear answer that I suspect meant "yes".
Mark the item being drilled  instead of the tape.  Use 2-3 layers of heavy duty clear packing tape to keep the bit from walking. 
Drill slowly at a constant speed and only use sharp drill bits along with cutting fluid. A carbide drill bit with a 135 degree tip angle is preferred.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 06:52:31 PM »
Thanks @Jules V.  I also have a bowl I'm thinking of drilling, but for a gas assist.  Any tips for that? 

Based on the bowl I removed, it isn't really circular because it has to accommodate the squashed end of the gas pipe.  I'm thinking drilling two holes close together & then cutting out the portion between the two holes.
regards,
Hal

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
First restoration project
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 07:27:31 PM »
Thanks @Jules V.  I also have a bowl I'm thinking of drilling, but for a gas assist.  Any tips for that? 

Based on the bowl I removed, it isn't really circular because it has to accommodate the squashed end of the gas pipe.  I'm thinking drilling two holes close together & then cutting out the portion between the two holes.
For larger holes, i start with a  carbide drill bit then switch  over to a die grinder  with a metal burr to continue enlarging the hole.  As the hole gets close to its final size, i switch over to a fine grit diamond burr.  A dremel with a 320 followed by a 600 grit drum sander will get the hole extremely smooth and devoid of porcelain chips. 

When drilling the gas-assist burner hole, the pointy tip at the top and bottom of the hole to accommodate the crimped tip of the burner is totally unnecessary.  The pointy tip is only there to facilitate installation. You can eliminate the pointy tip by dismantling the gas burner assembly and inserting it from the inside of the bowl.  The  burner hole will still be oval because of the curvature of the bowl.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 07:30:04 PM by Jules V. »