Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally got a Performer....  (Read 1022 times)

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
Finally got a Performer....
« on: July 30, 2019, 06:39:25 AM »
My fav uncle passed last year and as he was “blessed” with two daughters, his nearly new Performer was given to me. 

One of my cousins’ husband doesn’t BBQ/grill at all and the other’s husband opted for the cheapo Char-Broil gasser as he already has a Performer.....

Anywho, as of late, I’ve been cooking on either my Kamado Joe or my taco 26, so I’ve gotten used to the lid sliding/lifting to the back and as such, the slide to the side on the Performer feels very odd.
How long did it take you guys to get used to it?

Actually considering removing the lid bale and fitting the hinge instead....[emoji53]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 03:41:59 PM by WhaleinaTeardrop »

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Finally got a Performer....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 06:51:30 AM »
My fav uncle passed last year and as he was “blessed” with two daughters, his nearly new Performer was given to me. 

One of my cousins doesn’t BBQ/grill at all and the other’s husband opted for the cheapo Char-Broil gasser as he already has a Performer.....

Anywho, as of late, I’ve been cooking on either my Kamado Joe or my taco 26, so I’ve gotten used to the lid sliding/lifting to the back and as sick the slide to the side in the Performer feels very odd....
How long did it take you guys to get used to it?

Actually considering removing the lid bale and fitting the hinge instead....[emoji53]
It has the old style lid bale that doesn't put the lid at more of a 90 degree angle.  The new style has the lid sitting almost straight up and it isnt in the way as much.  If you want to do something that won't modify the bowl permanently that may be your best option.  You just need to find the part number on a current gen performer. I would imagine the cost would be less or comparable to a lid hinge.

If you did a lid hinge I would do some experimentation on the location of it to see how it might fit best without getting in the way. I Would probably locate it closer to the back left corner if the cart but be careful about clearance.  The left over holes would probably need to be capped off with stainless steel bolts and washers if you can't find a way to make them usable as a tool holder or something. 

I have considered something similar but left it alone because I might do some swaps on carts in the future.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 07:15:18 AM »
I too had my taco 26 before I got a performer. You NEVER get used to the side bale on the performer.  I set the lid on a table or the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 07:24:50 AM »
I was hoping that the hook was still under the vent as on regular kettle, but that’s a no go as well.  Will most likely order the new lid bale when I order the metal table....

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 08:05:35 AM »

The part number for the newer style lid bail is #65188.  It allows the lid to stand open at 90 degrees while cradled in the lid bail.  The part number for the black metal Performer table is #65189.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 10:24:38 AM »

The part number for the newer style lid bail is #65188.  It allows the lid to stand open at 90 degrees while cradled in the lid bail.  The part number for the black metal Performer table is #65189.

You could also keep an eye out in your area for a used performer to pop up.  Sometimes they can be found around $100 to $150.  A new table and bale might cost cost to the $100 range after shipping.  If you get lucky you could grab a used performer, do the swap, and list it for about what you bought it for. 

Good luck and congrats!
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Finally got a Performer....
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 11:27:25 AM »
Consider a slide-aside in lieu of a lid bale, much better value proposition since it fits most kettle sizes, SJ-26”.

Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:43:21 PM by Mr.CPHo »

hemi_charger

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 12:10:10 PM »
Sorry for your loss. But congrats on the performer!

Slide aside what is this vudo you speak of

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 12:16:34 PM »

Slide aside what is this vudo you speak of

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 01:30:12 PM »
I need some slide asides!

hemi_charger

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 04:11:40 PM »
Not sure if that is better then the newer  lid bale.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 06:21:47 PM »
Just set it beside that random charcoal basket in your yard.

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 03:23:58 PM »
Just set it beside that random charcoal basket in your yard.

I actually did that and woke up to this:

[emoji53][emoji53][emoji53]