Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Are handles for H-style galvanized sweeps magnetic? & SS sweeps observation  (Read 410 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Well, I noticed that replacement kits include a handle, so I'm assuming the handles of the galvanized sweeps are most likely galvanized steel because if they were something else like stainless or aluminum, why provide a replacement with the sweeps because the original would still likely be good.

I've pulled some stainless steel sweeps, that came out of the right sort of grill to be stainless, but were magnetic.  I know that the degree of magnetism depends on the type of stainless.  What I did notice is that regardless if the sweeps were attracted to a magnet, NONE of the handles were.  I pulled what I assumed was a pretty clean galvanized set of sweeps out of some sort of master-touch grill & noticed the handle of that one also was not attracted to a magnet.  So I threw the magnet on the sweeps & the magnet stuck.  So, I've started looking at these sweeps a bit closer and suspect they are just dirty & stained "stainless". 

I also seem to recall that there was a whole variety of other kettles that came with SS sweeps, so now I'm wondering if the handles might be and easier way to tell, at least when the sweeps seem to be in pretty exceptional shape.

So, I wondered if anyone who has what they know is a regular set of H-style sweeps where they could check the handle with a magnet. 
regards,
Hal

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
This is very interesting! 2 out 3 of my 7444 sweep handles are magnetic. One from a replacement set, one from a gen 3 AD code performer, and one from a 2015 MT.

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
When it comes to stainless, you can't always rely on  a magnet. Weber uses both 300 and 400 series stainless. The  400 series which is likely 430 is highly magnetic. A 304 on the other hand is not magnetic. It can be slightly magnetic depending on how it  was formed. 
Looks like Weber started transitioning to the slightly cheaper magnetic 430 ss. Most of the earlier ssp tops were 304 and the later ones 430.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:03:01 PM by Jules V. »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Was the non-magnetic handle on the performer?

Another member, I believe @Jules V., had mentioned finding some of the later year SSPs AND the EARLIER years of the gen 3 seemed to have SS sweeps.  Kind of makes sense as the Gen 2 had SS sweeps and it looks like yours was the first year for the generation 3.

This might be a way to uncover SOME SS that you might not other realize you have if the ones that are not SS always have magnetic ones.  Obviously, it is possible that Weber just had a larger quantity of the SS handles for the sweeps that were of the non-magnetic SS variety & they might transition to the other sort.  So, the handle being magnetic would not necessarily exclude them as being SS (just like as @Jules V. indicated that SOME of the SS sweeps are magnetic). 

In any event, I cleaned upnthe "new" set I found & they do appear to be SS.

This is very interesting! 2 out 3 of my 7444 sweep handles are magnetic. One from a replacement set, one from a gen 3 AD code performer, and one from a 2015 MT.

regards,
Hal

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Oh sorry I forgot to include that detail. Yes it was the performer. I thought I had checked the sweeps before and a magnet stuck to them. I double checked just now and confirmed that. I do have an 18 OTG with SS sweeps where a magnet does not stick to them.
Was the non-magnetic handle on the performer?

Another member, I believe @Jules V., had mentioned finding some of the later year SSPs AND the EARLIER years of the gen 3 seemed to have SS sweeps.  Kind of makes sense as the Gen 2 had SS sweeps and it looks like yours was the first year for the generation 3.

This might be a way to uncover SOME SS that you might not other realize you have if the ones that are not SS always have magnetic ones.  Obviously, it is possible that Weber just had a larger quantity of the SS handles for the sweeps that were of the non-magnetic SS variety & they might transition to the other sort.  So, the handle being magnetic would not necessarily exclude them as being SS (just like as @Jules V. indicated that SOME of the SS sweeps are magnetic). 

In any event, I cleaned upnthe "new" set I found & they do appear to be SS.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.