Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1st Daisy wheel  (Read 512 times)

Kain

• WKC Ranger
1st Daisy wheel
« on: July 15, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
Hi guys I got my 1st Daisy wheel yesterday and I’m planning a brisket cook for the weekend. Not sure why but the vents seem a little daunting to me. Any tips with the vents to help regulate my temp easy?
Cheers in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: 1st Daisy wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 08:39:20 PM »
It really depends on what you’re cooking and how you’re cooking it. Treat it like an OT...but it has a little more fine tuning.

Most grilling applications...all open, just alter your amount of lit coals (if you use a fully lit chimney, wide open, with an OT 22...it’s exactly the same). If you’re running a snake, close them off a bit more when you get your desired temp dialed in and it should hold steady.

I find the fire control can be a little more fine-tuned by what bottom vents are open in relation to the food placement and the top vent placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
1st Daisy wheel
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 10:21:17 AM »
You got this!

I believe the 3-wheelers are better for fine-tuning for low and slow (WSMs still use daisy vents[emoji848])

I typically place my coals in the back of my kettle and the vent underneath my hot zone closed completely; then I just use the two front vents to control air intake.  This way ash won’t clog up your intake vents and you don’t have to keep adjusting the really hot vent underneath your coals.  I’m also vigilant to keep my daisy vents nice and clean by using using drip pans.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 10:28:41 AM by Mr.CPHo »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 1st Daisy wheel
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 10:30:11 AM »
You got this!

I believe the 3-wheelers are better for fine-tuning for low and slow (WSMs still use daisy vents[emoji848])

I typically place my coals in the back of my kettle and the vent underneath my hot zone closed completely; then I just use the two front vents to control air intake.  This way ash won’t clog up your intake vents and you don’t have to keep adjusting the really hot vent underneath your coals.  I’m also vigilant to keep my daisy vents nice and clean by using using drip pans.
I agree and good tip, what's a drip pan? LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill