Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Metal bowl handle repair  (Read 527 times)

Izzygrillz

• WKC Brave
Metal bowl handle repair
« on: May 20, 2019, 08:57:09 AM »
Hey guys, I’m in the process of buying a brownie warrior and having it shipped to me by another member, my question is both the metal bowl handles are broke off the bowl, the seller is supplying handles from a parts bowl he has, what’s the best way to go about this repair? Thanks Israel

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Metal bowl handle repair
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 11:58:21 AM »
@Izzygrillz , I have a mig welder and what to do a test on one of my kettles... just haven't yet. Let me know what you find out.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Izzygrillz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 12:00:40 PM »
Damaging the porcelain is my fear, I want to make sure it gets done right, there’s no do overs [emoji57]

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 12:03:44 PM »
might just want to drill holes in the handle ends and bolt it to the bowl then... use stainless steel to make it look nice or try black oxide bolts to make them less noticeable... my 2 cents.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Izzygrillz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 12:05:17 PM »
I have thought about drilling and tapping threads on the inside of the handles and drilling holes in the bowl and attaching with some panhead bolts from the inside

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 12:06:34 PM »
... wanna swap for a clean brownie bowl with handles? I don't want to cut for my sequoia build.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Izzygrillz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 12:10:11 PM »
@inkaddictedchef1 send you a pm

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 04:25:17 PM »
Not to hijack this but has anyone ever removed metal bowl handles?  I think I may have found a donor kettle for my “Ladybug” Wood Dale and would love any advice.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 08:38:05 AM »
It is pretty easy to reattach a MBH to the bowl @Izzygrillz . Just need two small SS bolts, washers and nuts.  First, make sure the handle flanges are totally flat and remove all the rust from both the bowl and the flanges.  Then drill the holes in the MBH flanges.   Once those holes are drilled, hold the handle against the bowl and mark where the holes need to be drilled.  Drill the holes in the bowl and then attach with the SS hardware,  This one has been reattached for about 2 years now and I think it is as strong as when welded.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:04:04 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"