Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to secure the insert on gourmet grate?  (Read 1007 times)

cafe-con-leche

• Smokey Joe
How to secure the insert on gourmet grate?
« on: May 19, 2019, 06:19:56 PM »
I got a Performer that comes with gourmet grate (with removable center insert). I like how thick the wires are, it holds more heat and gives better grill marks. But each time when I need to use gas assist, I need to take off the grate and put it somewhere, and I can't hang it at the slot at the back of the performer cart because the middle insert would fall off. Any one got good idea on how to secure the insert that's high temp and food safe?

Thanks!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: How to secure the insert on gourmet grate?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 06:56:37 PM »
I have this same problem myself and I tend to keep a fold out table handy just for it.  I can't think of a good way to fasten the middle section while still making it easily removable.  I think your best bet would be to find another grate that you can switch out with it depending on what you are cooking.  You can pick up an oem hinged grate for $20-$30 or if you are interested or like the Slow n Sear you might take a look at Adrenaline Barbecue Company who has stainless grates with various upgrades.  Good luck!

http://abcbarbecue.com/product-category/accessories/
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
Re: How to secure the insert on gourmet grate?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 08:36:46 AM »
I use a vortex knock-off that is actually wide enough to take up the whole space in the center. The 1st Pic is on a Stok cast iron grate but I used it with the GBS before getting the cast iron.

I would prop up the center ring in the remaining grate while the charcoal lights then put it back when the heat kicks up. 2nd Pic is the GBS, still has alot of direct cooking space and space for a pan indirect.

I know it doesn't work for all but thought I would share.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow