Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Replacing the One Touch lower vents in a K code  (Read 480 times)

HeatnSmoke

• Smokey Joe
Replacing the One Touch lower vents in a K code
« on: May 15, 2019, 03:32:19 AM »
Hey Kettle Gang

I'm restoring my K code kettle and need some advice on how to get the hex bolt off so I can put in a new set of vent blades. I already managed to remove the wing nut and lever with lots of WD40. So all that's left is the hex nut but it won't drop out when I tap it with a rubber mallet.

Also, I noticed on Amazon that one can't get the vent kit with the hex nut anymore. The only option now is the H-style vent kit. Would have been nice to get the hex nut version to keep it all original. If you know where one can still get them please let me know.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: Replacing the One Touch lower vents in a K code
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 03:57:41 AM »
I had to use a grinder to cut my handle off, I'm pretty sure it tapped right through afterwards. Maybe try putting a wrench on it to free it up? Idk

ABROB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 03:59:23 AM »
Just rust holding it on now.....keep tapping.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 05:12:50 AM »
Guessing that it’s rusted solid to the washer.  Hit the hex with a torch, then spray penetrating oil on it to rapid cool it.  The shock should break it free from the washer. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 06:53:38 AM »

I have found tapping the nut with a metal hammer works better than a rubber mallet. Pretty sure it's just heavy rust that has bonded the washer and nut together. My prediction is it will drop right out with a couple of taps using a metal hammer. I only use a rubber mallet on pushed in leg sockets, reshaping bowls out of round and dents in lids.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:55:18 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

HeatnSmoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 02:08:48 PM »
Thanks for the tips. Will try the metal hammer, maybe the torch too. I was trying the rubber mallet and WD40 first as I didn't want to damage the surrounding enamel around the hole. Fingers crossed...

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 03:17:35 PM »
Don’t strike it too hard.  If you pop porcelain around the hole, you’ve likely bent that area.  Sweeps will not work properly then. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞