Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DIY Roti Ring Advice  (Read 1915 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
DIY Roti Ring Advice
« on: April 02, 2019, 07:27:54 PM »
I’m piecing together a kettle rotisserie setup from gasser roti parts I’ve acquired over the last year or two. I’ve got a couple working Weber motors and a spit that I just had a machine shop turn on the lathe in order to extend the rounded section down a couple inches to fit on a 22.5” kettle. I’m about to go to work on the ring which I’ll be making from a section of 55gal. drum left over from the UDS insert I made a while back.

The metal ring I’ll be using is about 10.5” tall right now. I’ll need to cut the lip off to get it to fit snugly inside The kettle lid, which could leave a ring as tall 10” if I wanted it. I’ve noticed most roti rings on Amazon are 6” tall.

So here’s my question: Would you rotimasters out there say that 6” the optimal height for a charcoal roti ring on a 22.5” kettle? I have the opportunity to go taller or shorter on mine if I want.

Also, how far down should I cut the notches to rest the spit? It looks like most 6” tall rings have the bottom of the notch about 2” from the top edge. Is this correct? Anyone feel like measuring theirs for me?

Any/all advice is appreciated here. I’ve learned from previous misconceptions that I should ask you guys before I cut anything. Looking forward to some dizzy chickens & other new endeavors soon! [emoji239]

Thanks in advance,

-Jed
-Jed

Cellar2ful

Re: DIY Roti Ring Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 08:45:53 PM »

I have the older style Weber rotisserie ring that has (4) L type brackets that rest on the bowl.   Here are it's measurements:

6" - total height of the rotisserie ring

5 1/2" - distance to top of ring from the bowl lip when sitting on the L brackets

1 1/4" - depth of notch cut out for spit to rest in
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 08:48:56 PM »

I have the older style Weber rotisserie ring that has (4) L type brackets that rest on the bowl.   Here are it's measurements:

6" - total height of the rotisserie ring

5 1/2" - distance to top of ring from the bowl lip when sitting on the L brackets

1 1/4" - depth of notch cut out for spit to rest in

Thanks! You’re happy with those dimensions? You don’t ever wish it was a little taller? Or that the spit sat lower? Anything like that?

-Jed
-Jed

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 09:01:50 PM »
Mine has a hole for the spit drilled on the motor side of the ring and a U cut out on the opposite side.  It can sometimes be a bit challenging to insert the spit into the motor slot as the rod will occasionally bind if the motor height is not correct.  The only thing I wish is that mine had U cut outs on both sides instead of the hole drilled on the motor side.  The dimensions are fine to me.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:53:16 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
DIY Roti Ring Advice
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 07:41:57 AM »
I prefer a taller ring so i converted 2 Caliente stackers for my rotisserie.  Haven't used my weber rings for months or have any plans of using it unless i need to use more than 2 rotisseries at once.  The taller ring also allows you to cook direct or semi-direct.

https://youtu.be/M0wQLEGgQOY

https://youtu.be/pDBeN2RNeb0
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:50:47 AM by Jules V. »

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 11:54:14 AM »

Mine has a hole for the spit drilled on the motor side of the ring and a U cut out on the opposite side.  It can sometimes be a bit challenging to insert the spit into the motor slot as the rod will occasionally bind if the motor height is not correct.  The only thing I wish is that mine had U cut outs on both sides instead of the hole drilled on the motor side.  The dimensions are fine to me.

Great to know! I’ll definitely cut two notches instead of one notch & one hole.

I’m thinking that to get that nice, rounded end at the bottom of the notch, I’ll drill a hole first with the bottom of the hole where I’ve marked for the bottom of the notch. Then, I’ll just saw two cuts straight down from the top edge to meet the sides of the hole.

-Jed
-Jed

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 12:15:06 PM »

I prefer a taller ring so i converted 2 Caliente stackers for my rotisserie.  Haven't used my weber rings for months or have any plans of using it unless i need to use more than 2 rotisseries at once.  The taller ring also allows you to cook direct or semi-direct.

https://youtu.be/M0wQLEGgQOY

https://youtu.be/pDBeN2RNeb0

Damn, Jules. Now THAT’S a kick-ass setup!

I’m wondering if I should leave the ring around 10” tall and cut two separate pairs of notches perpendicular to each other in order to mount the spit at two different heights. Maybe one set about 4” from the bottom, and the other about 8” from the bottom. I can get a second motor mount off Amazon for around $8, and I’m thinking this would allow me do a slightly more “semi-direct” rotisserie cook if desired.

What do you guys think? Would this 4” gap between the two roti levels make a difference, or even be worth it? If I do notches that go that low, it will certainly affect the structural integrity of the ring. However, it’s pretty solid steel from a 55gal. drum, and I think even with a 4” band of untouched steel around the bottom, it’ll still be pretty sturdy.

-Jed
-Jed

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 12:44:11 PM »

-Jed

I wouldn't bother putting 2 separate mounts on the single ring. Just mount it on the top of the ring. Heat will rise toward  the top of the  lid and around the spit either way.  The caliente stackers are 9" tall and sometimes i stack them and just use the top rotisserie when spinning oily meats such as pork belly or chicken quarters  directly over the coals.  The added hight prevents any flare ups from reaching the the meat.  I even ended up adding an extension on one of my weber ring.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 04:18:37 PM »

I wouldn't bother putting 2 separate mounts on the single ring. Just mount it on the top of the ring. Heat will rise toward  the top of the  lid and around the spit either way.  The caliente stackers are 9" tall and sometimes i stack them and just use the top rotisserie when spinning oily meats such as pork belly or chicken quarters  directly over the coals.  The added hight prevents any flare ups from reaching the the meat.  I even ended up adding an extension on one of my weber ring.

Thanks Jules. So if I leave the ring at 10”, just mount the spit as high up on it as possible? Like with maybe only a .5 or 1” notch on each side? You’re making this sound too easy. (Famous last words, right?)

-Jed
-Jed

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
DIY Roti Ring Advice
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 04:36:46 PM »

Thanks Jules. So if I leave the ring at 10”, just mount the spit as high up on it as possible? Like with maybe only a .5 or 1” notch on each side? You’re making this sound too easy. (Famous last words, right?)

-Jed
The notch should be good at 1" to 1 1/2" below the lip.  Line up the bottom of the hole on the motor  side with the bottom of the notch. If you want an extra clearance for very large item such as a turkey, then you can install the motor an inch or so lower.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 06:49:10 PM »
Did you do any work on the rotisserie? I'm wanting to make some stackers, and want to make sure I cut the barrel at the right spots.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 06:51:14 PM »

Did you do any work on the rotisserie? I'm wanting to make some stackers, and want to make sure I cut the barrel at the right spots.

Haven’t had a chance to work on the ring yet. Hopefully soon. 🤞

-Jed
-Jed