Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza and California Tri Tip  (Read 2542 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Pizza and California Tri Tip
« on: June 07, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
I made a pizza on my lodge pan and thought you might like to see it. I used fresh mozzarella, green garlic olives, mushrooms and salami. It was good, but the olives were way too salty this time. It was still better than most pizzarias crank out.

Today was the tri tip I picked up from Costco yesterday. I coated it with avocado oil, bad move! Avacado oil has a much higher burn point than other oils meaning I got very little crust. I was actually impressed at how high the burn point actually was. This oil can really take the heat. I think 'im going to start coating my grate and paella pans with it. :D I also gave my Dukes Dust a try on this. Not bad, but then what rub wouldn't work on tri tips? Nice color though. I will use it again to see if I can get a decent crust from it like I do with cowboy, but with an oil that burns this time. ;) By the way, I used mesquite for smoke this time. As much as I like an oaked tri tip the mesquite took a strong second. I'm using it again.

Here it is right before the garlic bread and salad landed.

I will report my results with another tri tip in the next day or so.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 09:07:31 PM by Duke »

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Pizza and California Tri Tip
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 09:07:08 PM »
I'll take a couple slices of pizza to go and wrap me up some pieces of tri tip for the road. Looks awesome!

P.S. I really like that grate mod you did on that Chief!  :D

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 09:12:38 PM »
Thanks Craig!

You can also do a nice pie in the paella pan. I bought the lodge thinking I needed it. It's about equal with my paella pan.

Cool avatar by the way!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 09:25:25 PM »
Thanks Craig!

You can also do a nice pie in the paella pan. I bought the lodge thinking I needed it. It's about equal with my paella pan.

Cool avatar by the way!
I'm going to try a pizza in it soon. I already did Sloppy Joes in it on Tues.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 07:47:17 AM »
Looks delicious, Duke! Still haven't done tri-tip.  :-\  I'm a bit far from Cali.
Should bug my butcher and see about getting some. Hope he knows what it is.

Side note: Is that a homemade charcoal basket? I happen to have some expanded metal kicking around.
I want to make one or 2 baskets out of it. Maybe some other stuff, too. Thanks.  :)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 08:30:56 AM »
Thanks Mac, yes I make my own baskets. In fact I need to make one for my 26'r soon. My advice is that you make them at least halfway to the middle bar on the charcoal grate. You don't have to fill it, but the extra room is nice for direct grilling when you want a bed of coals to spread out on one side.

By the way Craig, I might do this same grate mod on my 22 kettle I like it so much. It really makes a difference.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:32:36 AM by Duke »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 09:19:10 AM »

By the way Craig, I might do this same grate mod on my 22 kettle I like it so much. It really makes a difference.

Keep us posted on how that comes out. With your 26 mod, I know what I'll be doing when/if I find a vintage 26'er.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 10:39:36 AM »
Yeah, it has as much room as a new model now.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »

Yeah, it has as much room as a new model now.

From where the grate is supposed to sit on the old ones how much lower is it in inches than on the new ones?

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 11:13:52 AM »
About two inches. The old grates measure 25. When it's raised it has room leftover that can be used even if the food hangs over the grate edge it's too small too fall through. You can also set a new ss grate in it's place.