Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ceramic heat deflectors for kettles  (Read 4441 times)

avega2792

• WKC Brave
Ceramic heat deflectors for kettles
« on: March 01, 2019, 07:52:40 PM »
Has anybody tried using a pizza stone as a heat deflector in a kettle? I've also seen a kit from Aura that includes SS grates. Has anybody tried this kit out? I like it on paper and the price is not too bad IMO, so this would be my choice for heat deflection in my 22" kettle for low and slow cooks.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ceramic heat deflectors for kettles
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 03:51:08 AM »
I have tha Aura kit, awesome addition to the arsenal. I haven't used it to it's full potential yet but I would recommend it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 04:43:38 PM »
That's awesome, I liked it from the get go. I really like smoking on my kettles but always feel like space is limited. How do you arrange your coals?

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 04:54:48 PM »
I like how that Aura kit brings the grate to close to the lip of the bowl.

G-MO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 09:03:32 AM »
I got the one from BBQ dragon... it works well

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Just Grill It!

Bodhi

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 12:51:27 AM »
The photo gives an idea of how nice a white 26r would look.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 12:04:53 PM »
I got the one from BBQ dragon... it works well

I like the BBQ Dragon heat deflector except for the open area. I know it's for adding fuel or wood if needed, but I want to maximize real estate for smoking on my 22" kettle. Also, the Aura kit comes with SS grates. Bonus!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 05:35:54 AM »
I have an extra grate wedged into my char-griller kettle, I set a pizza stone on it and then a drip/waterpan on it. Then put the grate on top. I haven't figured out what to do for a deflector on the webers yet, a rotisserie ring or extension is the route I wanna go. So the deflector and pan can set on the stock grate, then use a grate or two in the extension.

Here is the char-griller. It has a pretty good air leak at the ash pan, so I just leave the bottom damper closed and control temp with the tip vent lol.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 03:51:27 AM »
Tom Horsman has some videos of some ceramic mods he did for the 18” Smokey Joe’s

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Ceramic heat deflectors for kettles
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 04:03:11 AM »
I have an extra grate wedged into my char-griller kettle, I set a pizza stone on it and then a drip/waterpan on it. Then put the grate on top. I haven't figured out what to do for a deflector on the webers yet, a rotisserie ring or extension is the route I wanna go. So the deflector and pan can set on the stock grate, then use a grate or two in the extension.

Here is the char-griller. It has a pretty good air leak at the ash pan, so I just leave the bottom damper closed and control temp with the tip vent lol.

I’ve experimented with a roti ring by taping the holes with foil tape and using a deflector but the roti ring still leaks pretty bad. I can really only cook as low as 300-325.

I find the roti ring more useful for direct cooking at a distance. I installed a few bolts to hold the cooking grate at the top of the ring.

A taller extender ring that seals better like Jules v set up would be better.

Or one of the ceramic deflector options like aura.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 04:09:55 AM »

I have tha Aura kit, awesome addition to the arsenal. I haven't used it to it's full potential yet but I would recommend it

Have you done something like a pork butt yet?  Is there a way to catch the grease?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 04:35:42 AM »

Have you done something like a pork butt yet?  Is there a way to catch the grease?

I have not yet, but there is room for a sheet pan between the cook grate and diffuser and that is what I was going to do, should be big enough to catch the drippings I think
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 04:43:19 AM »

I have not yet, but there is room for a sheet pan between the cook grate and diffuser and that is what I was going to do, should be big enough to catch the drippings I think

This just popped in my head, but maybe another possibility is a medium sized foil pan with the butt on a small cooking rack all set on top of the cooking grate. That would catch grease but hopefully put enough distance from the stone to keep from burning. Who knows, it might still burn. Not sure.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 05:34:42 AM »

Now you have me thinking, I have a vintage Weber elevated half grate, may just be the perfect combo, thanks for the idea, besides I needed an excuse to take it out of the box and use it

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 09:44:29 AM »
so I understand the idea...you want to use a ceramic heat deflector to simulate indirect cooking while using all the available grill space?
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!