Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Older rotisserie  (Read 985 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Older rotisserie
« on: January 06, 2019, 03:02:15 PM »
I recently acquired a 10 year old Weber rotisserie for the 22 inch kettle.   It works fine but the ring isn’t a great fit.  I’ve read older reviews stating they leaked quite bad.   Temp control is not great.  I’m considering using a lavalock gasket to seal the ring a bit better. 

Any thoughts?   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: Older rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 03:09:33 PM »
Should be fine the way it is. You are not smoking at low temp.  You can basically roti with lid off as you are cooking high temp.  I am just about done roti ribs at around 350f at this moment.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »
Mine dosent fit great on my normal 22s but its snug as a bug on my walmart 22. I think its due to the way the lower bowl is shapped

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 04:22:07 PM »
Neither of mine seal well. but work fine.

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 02:59:20 AM »

Neither of mine seal well. but work fine.

Mine doesn’t seal either.  No problem here either.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 04:26:56 AM »
Worry not. It will be fine as is. I've owned mine for several years and have never had any issues.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 06:44:22 AM »
Can only confirm what everyone said so far. My ring is from 2013, not sealing well but working fine by high temp cooks.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 06:49:56 AM »
Mine gets a little out of hand if I load too much charcoal. If you really want a controlled 350ish cook, spread 3/4 lit chimney between two baskets and plan on reloading every hour as needed.

I’ve also loaded my diy large basket and dump half a chimney lit over half unlit. This gives me 2-3 hours cook time without loading.

I also keep my lower vent cracked.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 06:51:15 AM »
My ring was off an older SSP Plum, doesn't fit well either on my newer 22's. That being said, works fine. Good to go.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 07:30:07 AM »
Mine gets a little out of hand if I load too much charcoal. If you really want a controlled 350ish cook, spread 3/4 lit chimney between two baskets and plan on reloading every hour as needed.

I’ve also loaded my diy large basket and dump half a chimney lit over half unlit. This gives me 2-3 hours cook time without loading.

How does yours shut down?   I have to take the ring off and put the lid like a standard kettle or else it stays hot because the ring leaks so bad. 

I’m not sure why I’m obsessing with this.  It’s odd that Weber designed something with so so fit and finish.  I know it’s not going to be airtight.   I trust you guys when you say it doesn’t matter.  You have the experience!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 07:42:34 AM »

How does yours shut down?   I have to take the ring off and put the lid like a standard kettle or else it stays hot because the ring leaks so bad. 

I’m not sure why I’m obsessing with this.  It’s odd that Weber designed something with so so fit and finish.  I know it’s not going to be airtight.   I trust you guys when you say it doesn’t matter.  You have the experience!

Yep. I take the ring off. Sealing the ring to the bowl would help some but it would still leak around the spit.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 07:47:40 AM »
I am using the new style ring so results may vary some

Cellar2ful

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 08:48:47 AM »

I have both a newer and older style Weber rotisserie ring.  The newer style has a crimped lip that sits on the bowl.  Yes it seals a better but is very unstable when placing a heavily loaded spit on the ring.  Twice I have had the ring dip and slide off one side when placing a 20 lb turkey on the ring.  It almost dumped the turkey into the bowl.  I have since gone back to using the older style that has four tabs that sit on the bowl.  The older style is much more stable.  No matter how well you seal the rings to the bowl, there will still be leakage around the cutout and hole for the spit.  You have to remove the ring when your done, shut all the vents and put the lid back on to extinguish the charcoal.   
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 09:36:55 AM »
They leak waaaaaay too much to deal with.  But, if you ship it to me, I'll make sure it is disposed of properly.
regards,
Hal

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 10:48:22 AM »
I've given up on the weber roti rings because of the lip design.

Very minimal air leak, rainwater doesn't get inside the bowl if left outside and by far it's best feature, it can be rotated at any position.