Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP gas assist mod to use 1lb propane cylinder  (Read 1665 times)

cafe-con-leche

• Smokey Joe
SSP gas assist mod to use 1lb propane cylinder
« on: December 11, 2018, 12:15:29 PM »
Recently got a SSP, but the 5lb propane tank that it came with has already expired, buying a new 5lb tank would cost most than $50 nowadays. There already have many examples of how to mod it to use 1lb camping canister on the SSP, you can basically directly add a 1/4" thread to 1lb canister fitting adapter, there is no complication in that. The only thing I did different is that to make it easily accessible from the top, I added an additional valve and a elbow, and a bucket to hold the canister. Now I can thread on the 1lb canister, and throw it in the bucket attached to the SSP leg, and able to turn the gas on/off from the top.

so the connection is:
-- use the old regulator(remove the 5lb QuickDisconnect) -- 1/4” length nipple -- OWG quater turn valve -- elbow -- 1lb canister fitting

Everything is 1/4" thread and sealed with plumber's tape.

Enjoy!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:20:23 PM by cafe-con-leche »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
SSP gas assist mod to use 1lb propane cylinder
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 02:30:57 PM »
I have quite a few extra 1 lb regulators and newer performer panels so my ssp conversions are more straightforward.  All my ssp's are converted to 1lb regulator.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:30:04 AM by Jules V. »

mahnamahna

• WKC Brave
Re: SSP gas assist mod to use 1lb propane cylinder
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 03:37:23 PM »
Your work is 2nd to none!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

cafe-con-leche

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »
I have quite a few extra 1 lb regulators and newer performer panels so my ssp conversions are more straightforward.  All my ssp's are converted to 1lb regulator.

That's a beautiful SSP, you can tell I am going the budget fix route here..  ;D

But your propane line goes to a QCC1 fitting, isn't that's for 20lb tank? I thought about going directly to 20lb tank, but it's just to heavy to roll around, plus I would have to get new regulator for it, so I gave up. The 1lb cylinder had no problem with the original regular that was for 5lb tank.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 04:30:01 PM »

That's a beautiful SSP, you can tell I am going the budget fix route here..  ;D

But your propane line goes to a QCC1 fitting, isn't that's for 20lb tank? I thought about going directly to 20lb tank, but it's just to heavy to roll around, plus I would have to get new regulator for it, so I gave up. The 1lb cylinder had no problem with the original regular that was for 5lb tank.

It doesn't have to be expensive.  Except for the lid & bowl, total cost for the frame and parts probably cost less than $150.  I've picked up more than a dozen performers the past year alone mostly for parts. Never paid more than $110 with the majory under $50 and few ones for free. 

I prefer not to have a tank hanging on my grills so i added a full size tank adapters to all of the performers.   I just grab a 5 lb tank when needed and disconnect it when done.

ABROB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 08:18:46 PM »
I prefer the 1 pounder conversion just to make it easier to move around. I'd rather not have the big tank sitting around next to the grill.

glend123

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 01:58:39 PM »
Can you get the five pound tank recertified?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

22" yellow kettle, 26" brown kettle, 26" Black kettle, 22" Blue kettle, 22" red performer, 18" smoker, Ranger

cafe-con-leche

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 02:10:10 PM »
I suppose it's possible, the 5lb tank still looks in decent shape, but the nearest refill/certify stop is a bit far, so it's easier for me to just use the 1lb cylinder.