Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Non performer bowl  (Read 997 times)

Vinnybaggadonuts

• WKC Brave
Non performer bowl
« on: December 11, 2018, 07:15:16 AM »
If I were to drill holes in a non performer bowl for brackets, are there steps to take to protect the porcelain during drilling?
Better yet, has anybody done a step by step process?? I have the ideas in the big empty head, just trying to avoid the “oh $h!t$”....

Vinny

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: Non performer bowl
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 07:26:38 AM »
Here's a thread related to placement of the brackets, but not the actual drilling. I would tape the area first, then mark as described, and start with a 1/16" bit, then a 1/8", a 3/16", and finish with a 1/4". I have not had any chip-outs doing it that way. DO NOT center punch the marked hole first! That is a recipe for disaster. Tape alone helps keep the bit in the right place. Once you have the small holes done, the rest are easy, but take your time.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-grill-modifications-customs/putting-a-kettle-into-a-performer-cart/msg383637/#msg383637
Retired

Vinnybaggadonuts

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 07:59:27 AM »
See??? Now THATS why I hang out w you people...!!!!

Thank you for the help and advice!!!!
AND the link....

Vinny

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 08:43:16 AM »
Whatever method you decide to mark the holes, it's imperative that the hole locations are very precise.  Little too high and the frame will squeeze the bowl out of round.  Too low and the bolt head will interfere with the cooking grate.  You would want a pan head bolt with the nut on the outside. 
Before you start doing anything, ensure that the bowl is as perfectly round as possible.