Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex pizza...?  (Read 1878 times)

therod

• Smokey Joe
Vortex pizza...?
« on: November 22, 2018, 09:28:58 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone has tried using their vortex for pizza. I bought some fire brick at Tractor Supply, I have the vortex, and I have multiple pizza pans, including a cast iron pizza pan that I almost have seasoned to my liking before I use it. I was contemplating putting the loaded vortex on one side, with my fire bricks and the pie on the pan on the opposite of the grill. Has anyone tried it? I also wondered if maybe it wouldn't also be a good idea to throw a few lit briquettes under the pan instead of them all being in the vortex. Just thinking...

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Vortex pizza...?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 12:04:42 PM »
You'll never know until you try.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 01:30:22 PM »
It should work, I wouldn’t worry about adding lit coals under the pan, unless you’re not using a stone. I let the general heat warm my stone, once the stone hits around 350-400 I slide the pizza in.. the overall heat in the kettle is much higher though. Good luck and can’t wait to see the results

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 06:31:48 AM »
If anything I would put the vortex narrow end up and place it right in the middle.  Put the coals all the way around the outside of the vortex and cook your pizza in the center.  You might end up finding that you do need a handful of coals in the middle if the outside edges of the pizza are cooking faster than the center.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!