Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Aluminum Go-Kart wheel install  (Read 2106 times)

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Re: Aluminum Go-Kart wheel install
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »
The axle bolt mod I made will also work on the performer axles. The  3/8” hole drilled 5/8” bolt will slide into the stock Weber axle shaft.
 I updated it to a hexed Allen keyed locking set screw instead of my previous 1/8” tension pin. Makes this install much easier.  You’ll need a 9/64” drill bit and a 8-32NC plug tap for the 8-32 5/16” set screw.
Then, Just remove your stock Weber  wheel and slide the new 5/8” axle adapter with set screw and tighten it in place. I used a 1/2” plastic spacer so my rubber tires wouldn’t rub but I’m thinking I could have gotten away using a 1/4” spacer.
 The go-kart racing slick tires with sealed bearings roll around like butter. It’s so quiet when moving my performer compared to the stock hard plastic wheels. What an improvement, I’ll need to buy another set of go-kart wheels to install back on the midget mod.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:50:50 PM by SmokinPerformer2 »

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 01:15:42 PM »
This mod is getting better and better!

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 01:25:09 PM »
That's BadAss there

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Weber cartoon art
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 04:49:11 PM »
Still sketching my “Smokin Performer” cartoon inspired by my mod. Once I have it layed out I can start my detailed line drawing.
Chris

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 05:33:39 AM »
I like it a lot!!!

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 06:26:47 AM »
That's sick!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 01:22:13 AM »
SP2, excellent mods, and great artwork as well.

I must ask though, is there no wheel bearing that can be found that
could be inserted to fit the smaller shaft?

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 06:45:49 AM »
Good point Dave, I must say that I just didn’t think about what my options were in bearing sizes. I think these hub adaptors may be available in different shaft size diameters since some go-karts have 1” axles. I remember just buying what they had in stock as I didn’t walk in knowing what I needed for my kids radio flyer build. I may have picked the 5/8” diameter bearings thinking this would be more than enough axle diameter to support a lot of weight.

But if you could find a smaller 3/8” bearing axle hub adapter to fit perfectly on the Weber triangle axle shaft, you will still need a back spacer so these wide tires don’t rub against the Weber legs. Would you still have enough shaft left to fit that spacer, aluminum wheel,  a washer and stock Weber push nuts?
It also raises the question about what other aluminum wheel width these go-kart wheels are available in?

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »
I don't plan to use a tire and wheel near as wide as that.  Harbor Freight has some cheap ass ones that
will work fine for me.  I am just trying to figure out a way to make them work.  I don't have a drill press,
but if I did,  I would pursue your mod. 

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 07:13:10 PM »
Dave, when you get your wheels, let me know what size shaft adapter you’ll need. I can make you a set on my drill press free of charge. I don’t plan on selling these as I don’t have any extra time to make them. Just wanted to share this info on how to build your own axle adapter with everyone here. Making you one set won’t take too much time. Chris

Homerdog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2018, 12:01:40 AM »
Cool mods and artwork. Your drawings remind me of the artwork in the original CARtoons magazine.

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2018, 07:36:57 AM »
Cool mods and artwork. Your drawings remind me of the artwork in the original CARtoons magazine.

Wow those hot rod cartoon drawings by Millar bring back memories. But I really blame my style on my uncle who had the subscription to this magazine. He had a drafting table and his wall was filled with hot rod art and pin up girl drawings. He would mimic the style from  Millars, Big Daddy Roth and Vargas. My uncle would get angry if he caught me using his drafting table and art supplies. Those were the good ole’ days and I was only 5 years old then. I must have done every step-by-step cartoon from those magazines that it’s imbedded in my hand. He worked long hours so by the time he came home, I’d make sure to put everything back in it’s place. 
  No one really draws like that anymore and with these new computer programs, who, needs paper anymore. I’ve also stopped drawing and over the last 10 years have have made only a hand full of drawings. Not like when I was a teenager and during my 20’s. I miss the sound that a sharp pencil point makes against paper. To have a  vision in your mind and the only way anyone else can see it is to put it on paper. Time just didn’t  allow it anymore but I need to reconnect and find a way to make time.
 My youngest child ( age 6) has a natural act for art too. It’s amazing seeing her quietly focused on making crafts and cutting up construction paper with her little scissors.  She has great had eye coordination.  I’ve given her full access to my drafting table and assortment of pencils, paints, brushes, tape and markers. But she feels comfortable just laying on the living room rug creating art crafts. It’s where she’s been playing most of her life. I need to teach her what this drafting table can do. She is so amazed by my ability to draw anything she can think of. “How do you do that, how can you just draw anything”, she asks. It’s my tools I tell her.. with better tools and good materials. You’ll create good stuff.  Maybe with a little more time invested in her, she’ll be able to draw anything. Chris

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2018, 03:52:55 PM »
Thanks Chris, I appreciate the offer.

I second Homerdog.  I had a CARtoons Tee shirt when I was in Jr High. 

Homerdog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2018, 06:46:45 PM »

Wow those hot rod cartoon drawings by Millar bring back memories. But I really blame my style on my uncle who had the subscription to this magazine. He had a drafting table and his wall was filled with hot rod art and pin up girl drawings. He would mimic the style from  Millars, Big Daddy Roth and Vargas. My uncle would get angry if he caught me using his drafting table and art supplies. Those were the good ole’ days and I was only 5 years old then. I must have done every step-by-step cartoon from those magazines that it’s imbedded in my hand. He worked long hours so by the time he came home, I’d make sure to put everything back in it’s place. 
  No one really draws like that anymore and with these new computer programs, who, needs paper anymore. I’ve also stopped drawing and over the last 10 years have have made only a hand full of drawings. Not like when I was a teenager and during my 20’s. I miss the sound that a sharp pencil point makes against paper. To have a  vision in your mind and the only way anyone else can see it is to put it on paper. Time just didn’t  allow it anymore but I need to reconnect and find a way to make time.
 My youngest child ( age 6) has a natural act for art too. It’s amazing seeing her quietly focused on making crafts and cutting up construction paper with her little scissors.  She has great had eye coordination.  I’ve given her full access to my drafting table and assortment of pencils, paints, brushes, tape and markers. But she feels comfortable just laying on the living room rug creating art crafts. It’s where she’s been playing most of her life. I need to teach her what this drafting table can do. She is so amazed by my ability to draw anything she can think of. “How do you do that, how can you just draw anything”, she asks. It’s my tools I tell her.. with better tools and good materials. You’ll create good stuff.  Maybe with a little more time invested in her, she’ll be able to draw anything. Chris

Great memories! Keep at it, you'll be an inspiration to her. Who knows, she may begin her own hot rod comic strip like Krass and Bernie.