Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Aluminum Go-Kart wheel install  (Read 2105 times)

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Aluminum Go-Kart wheel install
« on: November 19, 2018, 01:16:50 PM »
I picked up this 1974 18” faded black kettle to score the plastic wheels & ash catcher. I didn’t need the kettle and have been on the fence about getting rid of it. I’ve been wanting to cut an 18”er down for a midget sized cooker but haven’t found one with the newer style ash catcher yet.
  I’ve had this set of high speed aluminum go-kart wheels but the axle size is much larger (5/8”) diameter than the stock Weber wheels. I had to really think just how I was going to install the kart racing slicks on my grill.
 Using a drill press, I took a  5/8” diameter bolt x 2.5” long to use as my axle shaft for the kart aluminum wheels.  To make it fit on the Weber triangle, I drilled out the bolt so I can slide the triangle shaft inside. The head of the bolt will act like a spacer do the wide rubber wheels won’t rub against the legs. Then I drilled out a 1/8” hole across the hexed bolt head also thru the triangle shaft so I can insert a 1/8” expansion steel pin securing my 5/8” bolt (axle) in place. Drill another 1/8” hole to the threaded area of my bolt so I can insert a cotter pin locking my axle nut in place. Now that this ‘74 Kettle has these wheels, I’m keeping it, named it “Fast Food”.
Chris
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 06:32:19 PM by SmokinPerformer2 »

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Re: Aluminum Go-Kart wheel install
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 01:17:53 PM »
The result is a clean looking wheel install...

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 01:19:37 PM »
My ‘74 18” Weber grill looks fast with its new racing slicks...

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 01:26:03 PM »
That’s a cool rat rod man. Nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 02:22:41 PM »
Make sure you always use the ash pan, otherwise that thing is going to “buuurn rubber”!! Very cool, nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
It's always better when you're cooking on a Weber!

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 02:30:33 PM »
Buuurn Rubber!!! Ha,, like this...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 05:23:08 PM by SmokinPerformer2 »

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »
Nice work, I love it!!! Always wanted to do it but could never find the wheels and tires cheap enough.

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 04:51:43 PM »
That's a sweet MOD. Grate work there brother. Enjoy.

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 05:09:02 PM »
Nice work, I love it!!! Always wanted to do it but could never find the wheels and tires cheap enough.

Yeah they are kinda pricey. Each aluminum wheel was $55 plus $25 for the sealed bearing aluminum hub. I picked these up at a go-kart speed-shop, they sold used  racing high speed tires for $10 each and charged $5 mounting fee for each tire.
 Originally I had purchased the wheels about two years ago for a Radio Flyer wagon I built to haul my youngest child around.  The hot rodded out red wagon gets little use now and its just hanging in my garage. I used a similar 2.5” long by 5/8” bolt for the axle on the wagon. That bolt was cut and fits inside a steel axle shaft that can hold +200lbs of weight.  With the cotter keyed locking nut, removal of wheels will be fast and easy to mount them back on the wagon next time we need it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 05:11:53 PM by SmokinPerformer2 »

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 05:11:28 PM »
Needs a wheelie bar. Looks bitchin!

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 05:21:37 PM »
Needs a wheelie bar. Looks bitchin!

These are sealed bearing hubs that spin like butter. Funny thing is... I was rolling the midge around from the front MBH and almost dropped the lid as the grill became top heavy from this shorter pitched angle. I Started thinking,, huh.. it’s gonna need a wheelie bar! Maybe even heat shield aluminum fenders. lol

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 07:38:32 PM »
that's cool !

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 03:37:41 AM »
A wheelie bar and modded set of headers on the top vent LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 06:31:21 AM »
Thats a cool looking mod.  Looks badass

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 07:51:22 AM »
Thanks guys. It’s a Weber thing, or you wouldn’t understand.

I’ll need to fab up a table for it. I’ve been using a old 1970’s radio flyer steel wagon tub as my tailgating tray. Works fantastic on those windy days and keeps items from rolling off. I’ll need to cut out a curve like on the performer tables and weld on a lip to the curve.
  You can find these older Radio Flyer steel wagons on Craigslist or rummage sales dirt cheap. It’s hard to pass them up when you find them for $5. I’ve acquired a hand full of them just for the steel tubs. They make great tool trays for the garage and toy bins in the kids room.
Chris