Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Top vent loose  (Read 800 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Top vent loose
« on: November 11, 2018, 08:54:28 AM »
I rescued this 18" Blue OTG some time back and the top vent is loose and i need to tighten it up so it seals better.  I had seen a thread on restoring a kettle where they drilled out the rivet and replaced it with a bolt and nut.

I had some time back found it stickied but now i am having a hard time finding the stickied threads that it was in, does anyone know the size of bolt needed or can point to the thread it was in?  Thanks!

Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Cellar2ful

Re: Top vent loose
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 09:50:20 AM »

Looking at your photo it looks as though the lid vent is slightly raised on the side away from the handle.  That is usually caused by the lid being dropped on the handle, causing it to have a slight depression in it.  That may be what is causing the lid vent to be loose.  Before drilling the rivet out, I would try giving the inside of the lid a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet (right on the two lid handle weld points).  That usually pops the lid back into shape and in turn may tighten the lid vent. If that doesn't fix the problem or you don't feel like whacking your lid, I believe the hardware that Weber sends for attaching lid vents are 1/4 20 bolts and nuts.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 09:57:39 AM »
This [emoji1318][emoji1318][emoji1318]first!  Great advice Jim, and great rescue 1911Ron!  Blue 18 otgs are my favorite!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 11:45:46 AM »

Looking at your photo it looks as though the lid vent is slightly raised on the side away from the handle.  That is usually caused by the lid being dropped on the handle, causing it to have a slight depression in it.  That may be what is causing the lid vent to be loose.  Before drilling the rivet out, I would try giving the inside of the lid a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet (right on the two lid handle weld points).  That usually pops the lid back into shape and in turn may tighten the lid vent. If that doesn't fix the problem or you don't feel like whacking your lid, I believe the hardware that Weber sends for attaching lid vents are 1/4 20 bolts and nuts.
@Cellar2ful i will have to look at it again, it's been awhile sadly and i may have missed that thank you!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 12:06:41 PM »

I’ve had good results taking a softball and holding it directly on the spot that needs popped out and hitting the softball with a dead blow mallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app