Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber custom Leather handle wrap  (Read 9121 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: 6630 Premium Tool Set custom Leather wrap
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 04:05:53 PM »
If you end up not like any samples I'll take one [emoji16]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Day 2
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 06:41:45 PM »
I decide to dye this sample brown and use a contrasting light colored thread.

I’ve been using a odorless waterbase adhesive since I’m working indoors. Glue and clamp everything.

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Day 2 sample leather handle finished
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 06:47:36 PM »
 I used a bonded nylon thread size 346.  It came out good but a little too thick. I’ll try to stitch the next sample along the back side to narrow the profile.
Chris 

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 10:16:49 PM »
Very nice[emoji106]The only disadvantage - you can't put it into dishwasher

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2018, 03:26:16 AM »
I don’t see it as a disadvantage, I hand wash my BBQ tools and my nice knives too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2018, 06:01:42 AM »
Very nice[emoji106]The only disadvantage - you can't put it into dishwasher

The main disadvantage I’m seeing is that the average Smokey Joe won’t be able to hand sew them on or has a $3,000 leather holster sewing machine laying around. I used a basic leather forming way to build this , similar to leather knife sheath building. It’s a very sturdy build but needs to be simplified.

Now I’m thinking of using colored nylon braided parachord. It’s available in many different thicknesses and colors. By punching out a line of holes to each side of my leather grip, I can lace it on by hand with the colored braided rope. Like on the sketch attached. Chris
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:53:40 PM by SmokinPerformer2 »

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Day 3
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 03:17:33 AM »
  I formed out a taller leather handle cover by adding a 1/2” spacer to the bottom of my wooden form. Then Using an 1/8” hole punch, I punched out 11 holes spaced  1/4” from the bottom  edge and 3/8” apart.
Chris

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Day 3
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2018, 03:38:42 AM »
While my new molded leather tong handle grip is still 50-60% wet,  I began to lace it on using round braided boot laces. It’s all I could find till I order some blue braided lace to match my kettle.
With the 8oz. leather still being wet, this makes it easy to shape it around the stainless steel Weber tong while lacing it tightly. At this point, fabricating a two part forming mold might have been overkill. I’ll have to try cutting out a flat piece of leather and wet form it while just lacing it on tightly. This would eliminate the steps involved in fabricating a forming jig.

My new leather handle grip is a pretty straight forward installment. One might not need to dismantle the Weber tongs apart to do the install. The results of this new simplified leather grip is fantastic. I think it’s a little bit plain right now and can use some  decorative stitching, dye, edges burnished  and a detailed hand painted Weber logo. More to come.
Chris
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 06:41:48 AM by SmokinPerformer2 »

Homerdog

• WKC Brave
Re: Weber custom Leather handle wrap
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2018, 05:27:22 AM »
Looks great. Nice work!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2018, 06:45:27 AM »
I like the revision!
Dude, relax your chicken.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2018, 05:07:13 AM »
I also dig the revision!  (I do like them both though)

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Day 4
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2018, 08:07:49 AM »
Thank you all for the compliments.  Hopefully some of you are able to follow along with this build and get some encouragement to make your own. Later This winter, I’m also going to attempt to cover my 18” flat MBHandles. I’ll need to use Kevlar thread for those as the Kettle gets hot when used. It’ll be trial and error to be able to find out if the thick veg tan leather will survive.

It’s Day 4 and time to kick it up a notch! I’m now using some good ole’ American leather. Now that I’ve made my sample and have a better idea how to put it together. I’m sticking with the same 8oz. thickness.
First: cut two pieces 2 7/8”wide by 6 11/16” long. These will cover both sides of the Weber stainless steel tong.
Chris
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:49:13 PM by SmokinPerformer2 »

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Day 4
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2018, 08:16:03 AM »
1)  I made my template and went with twelve 1/8” holes verses the previous eleven holes. They are spaced out 6mm apart.

2) hand cut the leather piece using a No.11 Xacto knife blade.

3) using a stitch groover, I layed out my decorative stitch line 1/8” from the edge.

Chris

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »
Hermann Oak Leather is the best tooling leather you can find. It’s expensive but it wouldn’t be if it wasn’t the best. I wouldn’t be doing this piece of fine leather material any justice by simply just wrapping it around some BBQ tongs without properly hand tooling it. So it’s about to get interesting. I have no idea what I’ll be drawing yet but it’ll be Weber related.
 Pictured is a sample of my freehand leather tooling.
Chris

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Weber custom Leather handle wrap sketch
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2018, 11:39:53 AM »
 My pencil design layout is pretty rough but you should get an idea on how it will come out.  I also included a 1 1/4” strip and this will be what you’ll see from the side view of these custom leather grips. From this view, I wanted it to be enough of a design that you’re able to see the vintage Weber MBH Cado grill on one side. The other side will have the lettering ‘70 Cado. I’ll need to make that apostrophe change to the 1970 abbreviation as I accidentally placed it on the wrong side. I’ll make this correction and provide a transfer line drawing.
 Chris
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:29:37 AM by SmokinPerformer2 »