Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber custom Leather handle wrap  (Read 9133 times)

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Re: 6630 Premium Tool Set custom Leather wrap
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 01:45:39 PM »
It’s a little too thick and I’ll be removing a thin layer from the flesh side of this piece of leather.

[attachment deleted by admin]

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 01:50:46 PM »
They make leather skiving blades and tools for this purpose. One can use some basic garage tools like a small belt sander. A few passes to the flesh side and you should be good.

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 01:53:35 PM »
After wet molding, the leather piece will shrink/stretch a little and make a good fit.

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 04:52:42 PM »
As expected... I Didn’t get far as I started having issues wet forming my 8oz. leather piece around the small 7/8” diameter stainless steel BBQ tongs. The only way I can think of achieving this is by fabricating a mold. This will allow precision clamping force to be applied to the small 7/8” thick diameter. Still lots of work ahead before stitching begins.

I did a dye test sample on a small 1.5” square piece. The Royal Blue looks more Navy Blueish to me. Might need to thin down the dye or just order another brighter shade of blue to match the Weber lid.

These are my two thread choices besides black and white.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 05:44:46 AM »
I'm definitely watching this one!  I have no skills in leather-working but appreciate the art.

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 06:50:21 AM »
I'm definitely watching this one!  I have no skills in leather-working but appreciate the art.

I think all skills are learned by trial and error,,,,, and practice. I have a vision of the finished product and without instructions,  it’s just determination.  I may need to make a  few samples before getting it all right.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:05:17 AM by SmokinPerformer2 »

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Day 2
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 07:04:12 AM »
  Day 2: fabricating mood form for Weber tong handle.  After putting more thought into this, I need to basicly add a lip to the side edge of the original black rubber grips. I’ll be stitching a back piece to this edge so it’s form building time.

I’m using a 3/4” Polly board to build my clamping plate from. The Weber stainless steel tongs are 7/8” wide and the added 1/8” thick leather on each side will make it thicker so my cut out section needs to be allow this thickness to slide thru. I added some wiggle room and made it 1 1/4” wide. I made it longer ( 7 3/4” long) than needed as I’ll be cutting my leather mold to size after it cures. I drilled the inside corners and used a jig saw to cut out the long rectangle hole.
Chris

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Day 2
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2018, 07:09:18 AM »
After cutting, I cleaned and beveled the edges with files. The side I’m working on is the side that will apply clamping force to the 8oz. leather. This side needs to be beveled out and sanded smooth. This will allow it to slide along the edges and not cut the leather.
Chris

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Day 2
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 08:28:37 AM »
I’ve been calling the width of the Weber tongs 7/8” but they are 23mm wide. My guess it’s made in China, lol.
  It needs to be a snug fit so I’m making my wooden form 23mm wide too.  I’m using hard maple for the center of this 2 part leather form. I cut the small maple block down to 1/2” thick due to some shrinkage in the leather material once it’s dry. At this point it’s still s guessing game and I can remove wood material later if it proves to be slightly larger.

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Day 2
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2018, 08:33:36 AM »
My 2 part leather forming form is done!  I’m using a 1/4” thick aluminum plate as backing for the center maple wood form. Just makes it easier to apply ample clamping force and keeps my wet mold flat.

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2018, 08:35:51 AM »
You can see the wiggle room on the sides of the maple wooden form. The 8oz. thick leather will slide along these edges while being clamped down.
The new leather handle grip will be chunkier than the original black rubber handle. It’s all good as I have big hands and using the new leather covered tongs should’nt be an issue for me.
 Chris
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:40:06 AM by SmokinPerformer2 »

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Day 2
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 08:59:34 AM »
You can use wood claps or C-clamps all around to evenly press the leather form while wet forming. It’s a pain in the ass doing it that way. 

I now have a late 1800’s Large Book Binding Press for this clamping purpose. This in not one of those weird “friend of a friend deals”. I just searched Craigslist till I found one within driving distance. You wouldn’t want to ship one of these 80 pound heavy beast. I think I paid $250 for mine as I didn’t want to wait for a killer deal to pop up. All the deals I found were 800-2,000 miles away.
  Makes clamping down with equal force a breeze and it only takes about 5 seconds.
Chris

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
end of Day 2
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 10:00:53 AM »
Depending on room temperature, wet forming can take 2 hrs or an entire day. The new formed wet leather piece doesn’t need to be 100% dry while on the press. I usually let it get about 80% dry before unclamping and removing it off the wooden form. This is a good time to stamp letters, logos or hand tooled designs to the piece. Then with a hand held heat gun, I’ll finish drying the piece and this heat adds some hardening to the veg. tan leather.

Pictured is my 2 part leather form. The gap between the 3/4” poly bard and 1/4” aluminum plate is the thickness of the 8oz. leather piece.
For now, just leave it clamped down and walk away. It will be a few days till I get another chance to finish these Weber tong handles.
Chris

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:28:29 AM by SmokinPerformer2 »

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Day 2- forming leather mold
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2018, 12:21:06 PM »
My leather form came out good. Once it’s dry, I’ll cement glue it in place. This will snug it up before stitching. Sewing it in place will tighten it up like a glove. Then trim off the excess leather edge.
.... I’m liking this first sample
Chris

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:39:14 PM by SmokinPerformer2 »

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Day 2
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2018, 02:49:26 PM »
Did some trimming to the top area of the new leather handle cover  to match the original black rubber grip. Used a standard No.11 Xacto knife blade.
 My Weber logo is a bit too big for this application. It wasn’t a nice impression due to the narrow rounded area. After some detail paint brush work to the logo,  it’ll look better.
Chris