Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lavatools or Thermoworks Pen  (Read 1929 times)

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
Lavatools or Thermoworks Pen
« on: November 07, 2018, 02:37:23 PM »
So I've had the Lavatools Javelin Pro for about a year now and haven't really had any issues with it, seems to be accurate and fast.

Last cook I did I accidentally left it outside and it rained a little overnight which ruined it, the thing is automatically at 113f right when I open it. I checked the warranty terms and it's not covered :(

So anyways I need a new pen and I was curious what others think of the two brands that have used both. Also thermoworks has 2 models, the Classic and MK4 which are $20 difference.

Lavatools-$49
Classic-$79
MK4-$99

Is the higher price worth paying for either Thermoworks or just get another Lavatools?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SixZeroFour

Re: Lavatools or Thermoworks Pen
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »
Go with the Thermoworks product if you use it regularly. Very good build construction and I've been caught in the rain a couple times and mine is still going strong (its a classic so "water resistant"). The mk4 version adds the auto rotating display and is rated IP67 waterproof... prob worth it for $20 [emoji106] 
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 03:53:04 PM »
I love my thermoworks,  hold tight for a sale

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 05:11:52 PM »
Go with the Thermoworks product if you use it regularly. Very good build construction and I've been caught in the rain a couple times and mine is still going strong (its a classic so "water resistant"). The mk4 version adds the auto rotating display and is rated IP67 waterproof... prob worth it for $20 [emoji106]
This is where it gets me, I look at the classic and think it's only $30 over lavatool then mk4 is only $20 over that for water proof but then at that point I just doubled the cost of lavatool hmmm...

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »

This all day! And I think you might have just missed the sale. The MK4 goes on sale for $79 which is a deal and the price I paid for mine. I have no regrets or buyers remorse over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 08:05:53 PM »

I'm with SixZeroFour, JEBIV and kettlebb on getting the Thermaworks MK4.   Thermoworks will have another sale on the MK4 before Christmas.  They usually have a site wide sale right after Thanksgiving if you can hold out.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 04:51:32 AM »
I use it for everything so I'm missing it right now but if there's a sale in a couple weeks I can wait. I've been using my DOT for everything lately that should hold me over. Thanks guys

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 04:59:16 AM »
I’ve been using the standard javelin and it has been left in the rain a few times in the last few years. Still works great. I haven’t had to change batteries. At $25 it’s my go to instant read.  I’m sure the thermo works is better but that little standard javelin is tough to beat for the price.

My wife works at a high school cafeteria. I bought a couple and donated to them. The women absolutely love them compared to what the school provides them.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 05:02:13 AM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 05:15:15 AM »
With that said, I’m not dissuading anyone from getting the the higher quality thermoworks. Still money well spent for such an invaluable tool.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 07:05:24 AM »
I’ve got 7 different Thermoworks - POP’s, Mini MTC with multiple probes, a couple MK4’s, Classics and IR in the comp trailer but my daily driver is the Blue Gen1 Classic that has been going steady since 2007!
Take a look at the Pro Needle Pocket Digital 3-4 second response time And highly rated @ $33

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:10:31 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 01:44:12 AM »
So I told my family that I would love a thermopen for my bday. So come my day they gave me a box and inside was a.   Lavatool ....   but you know it works great!! Very fast built well...
so it’s not the ONE!! But it is good!!

I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 07:05:37 AM »
So I told my family that I would love a thermopen for my bday. So come my day they gave me a box and inside was a.   Lavatool ....   but you know it works great!! Very fast built well...
so it’s not the ONE!! But it is good!!

Yeah I haven't had any problems with mine, just a little disappointed that one little rain shower destroyed it. It's my fault I know, I'm just trying to decide if the higher dollar thermoworks is worth the water proofing. At this point I should have gotten it from day one because I wouldnt be in this mess and would have spent the same ammount. Lol

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 11:47:55 AM »
I've had my Lavatools Javelin Pro for a couple years, has seen light rain and works flawlessly.  It gets my vote.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 09:20:45 PM »
If you cook daily, or so - get the M4. If you are giving a gift to someone who cooks less than frequently - give them the $25 Lavatools non-pro. Forget the other options, the small cost differences does not offset the quality and functionality differences.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 08:20:11 AM »
I love my thermopen but if $$$ is the issue try the thermopop...Smaller, slightly slower, and much cheaper...But I'm not sure if it's water resistant...Mine stays in the kitchen and the thermopen is in my BBQ tool kit...