Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for some Thanksgiving advice  (Read 1779 times)

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
Looking for some Thanksgiving advice
« on: November 07, 2018, 07:38:28 AM »
Hey everyone. Our Thanksgiving cooking has been turned over to me from my dad for the past couple years. The last couple years I have done overnight cooks with big shoulders and then ribs as well. Well this year thanks to my job I will not be able to do the long overnight cook that I want. We usually eat around noon. I was wondering what you guys think I could get done in say 6-7 hours?  I am in NC so pulled pork is usually on the menu but just not sure if I can pull it off with the time I have this year. Thanks everyone for your advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G-MO

• Smokey Joe
Re: Looking for some Thanksgiving advice
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 07:45:17 AM »
With a hot and fast smoke you could get it done... I have seen videos but never done myself. Kosmos Q has a video on it if you go to youtube

Good luck!
GMO
Just Grill It!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 08:16:09 AM »
I've done hot and fast butts many times; so have others. 6-7 hours sounds about right.

You could also do it low or slow ahead of time (a few days)...keep it in larger pieces and then vac seal it. Just reheat in the bags and serve with some sauce or reserved juices.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Looking for some Thanksgiving advice
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:30:16 AM »
Good advice so far. You can easily make it ahead of time. Weeks ahead even. I usually cook 2 butts at a time and I pull them after they rest. I then vac bag the left overs. I flatten the bags after vac to fit nicely in the freezer and to reduce warm up time. I reheat in simmering water for half hour. Large quantities I would then transfer to a nesco or crockpot and add reserved juices or simply water and apple juice to stay hot and juicy during the party. I think it may be better than fresh. The flavors really distribute in the vac bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 08:35:36 AM »
I would agree with @HoosierKettle on the early cook and vac seal
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »
Thirds on cooking ahead of time and reheating.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 09:42:06 AM »
Thanks everyone so far on the advice. Just curious since I have never done it before. Will you not lose flavor when freezing the leftovers? Not questioning y’all at all just that’s what I was always told lol. And then to reheat you just simmer it in the bags?  Thanks again y’all

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 11:09:11 AM »
Yeah it’s very good. Reheat in the bags in simmering water then empty into a crockpot or similar vessel. I usually use 4 bags per butt so if you make enough ahead of time you can experiment reheating a bag ahead of the main event so you know.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 11:14:20 AM »
There’s a lot of successful ways to cook and reheat. This way works for me.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 11:46:38 AM »
When you open up those reheated bags and get that big wiff of your smoked meat you will have your answer.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 05:37:49 PM »
When you open up those reheated bags and get that big wiff of your smoked meat you will have your answer.
This. It is amazing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 07:09:32 AM »
Awesome thanks everyone for the info. I will give this a go the weekend before Thanksgiving. My dad has a vacuum seal machine that I can use. Do y’all seal up some of the juices up with the meat or save it another way off to the side

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 05:28:09 AM »
Do y’all seal up some of the juices up with the meat or save it another way off to the side

I save the majority of the juice on the side and then reheat in a cast iron skillet. I also reheat the pulled pork in my cast iron dutchoven after thawing in a pot of hot water in the house then using indirect heat on the grill. I add only water in the dutchoven as the cast iron tends to react funny with apple juice.

Don’t panic you got this!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 06:24:45 AM »
Awesome thanks everyone for the info. I will give this a go the weekend before Thanksgiving. My dad has a vacuum seal machine that I can use. Do y’all seal up some of the juices up with the meat or save it another way off to the side

You can add a little juice to the bags (but not too much). When the vacuum starts pulling the air it will also want to pull the juice out too (which can get messy). Ask me how I know  ;) Honestly...if it's only a few days...just vac seal and toss it in the fridge  (probably don't need to freeze it).

Save the juice in a separate container (like a jar) in the fridge/freezer. Then reheat it and add back to the pork.

The key is to leave the pork in the largest size chunks you can.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 06:44:53 AM »
Tami takes the juice and puts it in a ziploc baggy and puts that in with meat and then vac seals, works great @Mike in Roseville