Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Working on a copper SS performer that was used to hold up a tree.  (Read 2739 times)

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
Re: Working on a copper SS performer that was used to hold up a tree.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 05:04:24 PM »
That will turn out nicely!

The all-thread technique looks familiar...
;)

Apologies if you deserve credit or have a write up. Let me know if you have any lessons learned or better hardware. I am new to this board. I need to go back and read all the mod and restore threads and get familiar with people. There is some amazing work on here.

Someone on TVWBB said I should post it here. I had really only been here when looking up histories or from a link.

I am deciding on what wood to select for a set of handles from GrillHandles and trying to convince myself to leave the original wheels and not do something flashy and about 2-4 inches taller.

The site is awesome and all of you have been very welcoming.

Also thinking of getting the control panel text in white vinyl and putting it on a mockup until I come across an actual panel.

[attachment deleted by admin]
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 05:39:32 PM »

;)

Apologies if you deserve credit or have a write up. Let me know if you have any lessons learned or better hardware. I am new to this board. I need to go back and read all the mod and restore threads and get familiar with people. There is some amazing work on here.

Someone on TVWBB said I should post it here. I had really only been here when looking up histories or from a link.

I am deciding on what wood to select for a set of handles from GrillHandles and trying to convince myself to leave the original wheels and not do something flashy and about 2-4 inches taller.

Also thinking of getting the control panel text in white vinyl and putting it on a mockup until I come across an actual panel.

;)

Definitely no apologies needed, you are doing great! Just my poor attempt at humor. Threaded rod running all the way through the frame is in my opinion the best way to restore a Performer frame (maybe because it was how I fixed mine).
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=12815.0

Keep up the good work and keep us updated.
JC
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 08:36:54 PM »
I will get the feel of this soon.

Full disclosure I love to steal ideas but if I remember where they came from I try to give credit too.

It is a great way to sinch up the frame and help me avoid calling in favors.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 05:11:33 PM »
Gave the frame some final tweaks and a rough cleaning. Cleaned the bowl to check for hidden damage. Straighten the collar, sweep and bracket.  Need to hit them with some wool but I have time to wait.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 06:32:56 AM »
This project is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 06:38:05 AM »
Should still try to bang the lid out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 06:55:39 AM »
Should still try to bang the lid out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Absolutely, I just want to have the other in hand so I know just how gentle I need to be.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2018, 06:47:21 AM »
And just like that left at 845 back st 930 with everything I need for $75
Weber cover that actually fits
Small tank
Control panel
Charbin
Original coal baskets
And lots of extras.

I have a blue kettle with the table brackets (no gas assist) I may toss in this one after i strip it. Then if i come across just the parts i can put it back together later.  8)

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 05:09:24 PM »
So I stripped all the parts from the new black one I found. The black kettle was in rougher shape than I thought. The lp line with the quick connect was melted but everything else was complete and in good shape. I dropped a gen 2 dark green kettle in. Then felt bad for taking all the parts with that pretty bowl... then I put them back.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2018, 11:36:02 AM »
Really needs a full restore. Scratches on the frame and some discolored spots. All and all I am still very happy with the condition it ended up in. It will get better care next spring. For now it's up and running. I am heading out to get some sweepers and then tackle the 7409 issue then it's done for the winter. Lid got here from AU relatively unscathed.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2018, 11:39:31 AM »
Since I decided to leave the control panel and charcoal bin with the green performer. I am using a cutting board my wife had made for me and a 99cent bin from goodwill. I think they look great. I will be picking up some block conditioner for the board this weekend.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2018, 12:21:52 PM »
Simply amazing with what you started with
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2018, 05:06:31 PM »
There are so many solutions posted for the 7409 sweeper issue. I am not understanding why it doesnt work basically out of box. I just didnt use the H washer and used my support bar instead at the same spot. I used the wire brush on my impact for awhile on the bar and kept it on the center hole for an extended time but other than that no modding at all. Pic is of half way through after a flip. I am horrible about before pics.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2018, 04:58:18 AM »
Looking good my man!! Let me know if you need help storing it. I have some room [emoji16][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2018, 01:17:03 PM »
There are so many solutions posted for the 7409 sweeper issue. I am not understanding why it doesnt work basically out of box. I just didnt use the H washer and used my support bar instead at the same spot. I used the wire brush on my impact for awhile on the bar and kept it on the center hole for an extended time but other than that no modding at all. Pic is of half way through after a flip. I am horrible about before pics.

So you used the new style sweeps with the old style support bar and everything worked?
A bunch of black kettles
-JC