Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Your thoughts on paint and value?  (Read 2520 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Your thoughts on paint and value?
« on: October 12, 2018, 07:40:29 AM »
I'm curious as to people's opinions on vintage kettles, and restoration. When you watch most antique shows on TV they refer to patina and the desire to leave old things in the state you find them. Yet with Weber kettles most of us try to clean things up and even get them to look better than new (example: shiny polished vents and legs).
And what about areas of lost porcelain? For red kettles there is a high heat paint that matches up very nicely, I've used it on cookers. And to me the touched up areas on a red kettle are so much better looking than the blackish pock marks. But does that diminish the value of a kettle, if the porcelain loss areas have been touched up with color matching paint? Does that negate it's historical significance? Would you pay as much for an original buoy kettle that was tastefully touched up on the rim and leg sockets with black paint, as you would for the same kettle not touched up?
Just my random Friday thoughts...
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Re: Your thoughts on paint and value?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 07:45:53 AM »
So, having painted one kettle (my ranch) I wouldn't do it again...ever.  The ranch was in such rough condition and had so much exterior rust that I thought it was necessary...and it does look better, but in retrospect, I wish I wouldn't have done it.  Also, having restored kettles that have been painted, and all the cursing that I've done while restoring those, I would never want to put someone else through the paint removal process.  Finally, as long as there aren't TOO many areas of missing porcelain, I don't mind the odd blemish...it gives them character.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:46:51 AM »

I have never touched up a kettle with paint.  That being said, I'm now struggling with the thought of touching up the tiny bit of rim rash on my Ambassador.  The kettle is pristine other than those nicks but stand out more than on any color kettle I have seen. A high end automotive paint shop by me has a device that can analyze and mix paint to exactly match. I used them for sourcing touch up paint on classics and exotic cars in my prior hobby of restoring cars.  They can even match faded paint on 50+ year old vehicles.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 08:51:49 AM »
I'm in the same boat here with @crowderjd for a few reasons.  One being time.  With a 3 year old and 1 year old I just don't have the time to polish legs, triangles, hardware, lid vents....you get the idea.  If I have something that is more of a looker and it will be out of the cooking rotation for a long time I will razor scrape the lid and bowl, clean with Dawn and steel wool and put it away clean.  I've recently been into sanding the handles and using Tung Oil to protect them and make them pop.  Outside of all that, if the grill cooks, rolls across the patio with ease, and ins't falling apart I won't do the "full restore' on them. 

Does it devalue the kettle?  I'm not sure anyone can really answer that as my standard response is "a kettle is always worth what someone is willing to pay".  I'm personally not going to pay more for one that has been painted because I'd rather see the character in the grill and leave it as it was found.

Same goes with my shaving gear.  I and a traditional shaver with a mug and brush.  I shave with vintage razors.  I currently have some Gillette NEW long comb and short comb razors from both the 1920's and 1930's.  I have not polished them and I probably won't.  I like the patina and weathered look.  I do clean them with a tooth brush and give them a soak in some Barbicide solution once I get them and periodically thereafter. 

One exception to this would be if I found a flawless lid and bowl with shitty legs, wheels, and triangle then I'd spend time cleaning those parts up or paint them.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 08:56:31 AM »
To be clear I’m not talking about painting over good porcelain. Just filling in areas of no porcelain to make a vintage kettle more aesthetically pleasing. Your Ambassador is a perfect example. Would it be less collectible or valuable if you touch up the edges? It would look much better. To me it doesn’t diminish it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 09:02:45 AM »
I think that Ambassador looks great and I wouldn't do a thing to it.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 09:08:32 AM »
   The weber kettle will never be on the same level as a collectable statue or painting. It's utilitarian and that puts it on the same level as collectable cars so a kettle that has been RRR'ed I value the most because the oxidization, rust and dents have been taken care of.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 09:38:37 AM »
Your kettle, your choice.  That being said, I touch up kettles that have luster left.  I personally find it much more aesthetically appealing.  WW, or kettles with an awesome history, I’ll leave like they are though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Your thoughts on paint and value?
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 06:05:25 PM »
I never repainted any lost porcelain areas.  I scrape and wash the inside and outside of them over the winter. I season the lost porcelain areas and that’s it. I love them just the way they are.  My opinion...painting diminishes the value. To me it seems as if you’re trying to hide something. Just my thoughts.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 08:28:16 PM »
I spend about 2-3 hours cleaning and straightening out old kettles. I try to bring them back to like new condition without removing the "patina" of the age.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 08:38:08 PM »
Your kettle, your choice.  That being said, I touch up kettles that have luster left.  I personally find it much more aesthetically appealing.  WW, or kettles with an awesome history, I’ll leave like they are though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, at the end of the day it's the owner's choice. I personally would only touch-up in the most extreme of circumstances. Most people who have painted an entire kettle have regretted it. Those that have touched-up small portions can't say the same.

@Cellar2ful...Jim, please don't touch-up that Ambassador. It's not NIB. It's been loved; and is exceptional.

Anthony11204

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 07:11:32 AM »
I never repainted any lost porcelain areas.  I scrape and wash the inside and outside of them over the winter. I season the lost porcelain areas and that’s it. I love them just the way they are.  My opinion...painting diminishes the value. To me it seems as if you’re trying to hide something. Just my thoughts.

How do you season the lost porceline areas? Sand rust off and then oil?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 08:19:10 AM »

I dont sand i just oil inside and out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 09:46:16 AM »

I heat the grill up first. [emoji106]🏻

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 08:24:52 AM »
Come on, folks. We are talking about outdoor kettles. Not exotic cars or airplanes. I would rather have one that is blemish free, even if that means a paint touch up.
New ones can be bought pretty cheap.
My 1979 Happy Hooker Weber Cooker has had a face lift, using paint. It looks brand new. And I like it!
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest