Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Apple pie with cheese - is this normal?  (Read 2353 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Apple pie with cheese - is this normal?
« on: October 10, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »
Some quick background:  My immediate family's become obsessed with cheese over the last 10 years or so.  We had our Thanksgiving gathering a couple of days ago and one of the desserts that someone brought was an apple pie so my mother immediately started bugging the person who was hosting the gathering if she had any cheese to go with it.  Is the normal?  Even remotely normal to put cheese with apple pie?  Nobody I've asked about it has heard about it.

Anyways, the reason I ask is that put me over the edge regarding this cheese obsession.  At these family gatherings, especially the ones my parents host, the main appetizer is always cheese and crackers.  Quite often it's the only appetizer.  My family knows I can't eat cheese without getting sick.  All I can manage is a little bit of cheddar cooked to death on top of hamburgers but even then it's dicey.  Despite knowing that cheese hits my allergies seriously hard, family members still say I should have some.  I've been politely declining and reminding them that I can't have cheese all these years.  But I'm getting fed up with them ignoring that allergy and this railroading cheese with the apple pie seriously pissed me off and I unequivocally stated no, I'm not having cheese with my slice of apple pie, I can't have it, you know I can't have it, and I'm not having it and that's the end of it.  I got my slice of pie sans fromage but my mother got into a snit about it.  The flat out rudeness about systematically not respecting the one food allergy I have for years has finally pissed me off and if it comes up again at the next family gathering, I'm not going to be as polite about it as I have been.

jimz

• WKC Brave
Re: Apple pie with cheese - is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 09:50:20 AM »
My daughter has a severe peanut allergy and I cant tell you how many holiday family gatherings we have attended and had to address the mixed nut bowls that were seemingly always on display. I feel for you - its basic lack of consideration. Oh and by the way cheese on apple pie seriously??

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 11:05:00 AM »
Apple pie with cheese - is this normal?

Yes, it is normal.  I have seen my Dad do this for as long as I can remember.
It's usually a sharp cheddar that is most preferred.

As a kid I thought it was weird, but I try it from time-to-time now, and it's nice.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 01:17:22 PM »
i love apple pie with a slice of cheese. its quite common in the midwest

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 01:45:14 PM »
Never heard of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 04:27:05 PM »

i love apple pie with a slice of cheese. its quite common in the midwest
Wth?? I’ve never heard of it and I’ve been in Ohio all my life.

I’ve never heard of cheese being served along apples in any dish!! (Except one appetizer at a local restaurant called Marcella’s).

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 04:51:20 PM »
You betcha!  Fork full of pie and a bite of cheese. Colby is my cheese of choice.

suckaass

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »
Apple pie and sharp cheddar is delicious.  Same goes for Granny Smiths with a cheddar fondue. Of course you should be able to have your pie anyway you want it without catching flack.
Eddie, go over there and get all of that wood, I need half a tree. Chop that tree.
And Charlie, go get me 2 gallons of gasoline out the shed.
C'mon, you wanna eat? You wanna eat?

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 09:32:57 AM »
First time I heard of it was in the movie Thank You for Smoking.
Still need a 22” yellow

BrbdWyr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 09:47:26 AM »
Apple pie and Wisconsin cheddar, like peas and carrots.  fish and chips.  Beer and pretzels.  Peanut butter and bananas.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 09:55:59 AM »
gotta be extra, extra sharp and Lightning, as a life long cheese lover.....so sorry for your loss.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 12:34:56 PM »
@Lightning , next year, EAT the fuckin cheese, puke everywhere and make them spend the holiday in the hospital with you, bet they leave you alone at the next gathering....if you're invited. LOL  Seriously though, thats not cool of them...bummer
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 02:41:47 PM »
Seriously this thread has me wondering. My daughter just asked and she agreed but then why not try it. I’m from Illinois never heard of it. Maybe after a few holiday beers I may venture..... maybe

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 07:43:52 AM »
Ok, I guess it is somewhat normal even if uncommon here.  Looking back at Thanksgiving, the cheese being rammed at me with the apple pie at dessert seriously pissed me off because I had to remind my family just a couple hours earlier when I arrived that I couldn't have cheese because they were pushing cheese and crackers at me, which was the only appetizer they had.

My daughter has a severe peanut allergy and I cant tell you how many holiday family gatherings we have attended and had to address the mixed nut bowls that were seemingly always on display. I feel for you - its basic lack of consideration. Oh and by the way cheese on apple pie seriously??

I agree, it is a lack of consideration.  I can only imagine what you go through with the nut bowls, from seeing them out yet again and that "oh brother" sinking feeling.  Peanut allergies are dangerous.  Dairy just makes me sick, but nut allergies can be downright dangerous so I feel for you and your daughter when you arrive at a family gathering and that oversight happens yet again.

@Lightning , next year, EAT the fuckin cheese, puke everywhere and make them spend the holiday in the hospital with you, bet they leave you alone at the next gathering....if you're invited. LOL  Seriously though, thats not cool of them...bummer

I was joking around with a friend of mine after the last family gathering before Thanksgiving that maybe I should take them up on the offer of cheese because they'd never make that mistake again.  On the other hand, with they way they've gone about being oblivious and indifferent all these years, they probably would.  You know, my sister gave me a frigging cheese board as a housewarming present.  Again, I have no idea why, when my whole family knows because I've told them many, many times that because of dairy allergies, cheese is off limits for me.  I put it away intending to use it as a cutting board or a serving tray except I've never had the need arise so it's sat unopened in its original packaging for the last five years and counting.  I have no idea where this obsession my family has with cheese came from or why it started but it's been going on for over 10 years now and I'm so fed up with the "we got the only thing you can't eat again" routine.  I don't know what the next family gathering will be that I make it to since I'm scheduled to work 12 hour shifts over Christmas but I bet it'll be more of the same given how things have been going.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 02:19:00 PM »
@Lightning , Locate said cheeseboard gift, woodburn "NO DAIRY" on it, drill a few holes to lessen wind resistance, when the next family member offers cheese, put that board upside their cranium, then yell out, "NEXT?".... thats how you make use of a thoughtless gift.  just my opinion...LOL
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.