Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis Burner / Ignitor Issue  (Read 1141 times)

crosseyedphoto

• Smokey Joe
    • Cross Eyed Photography
Genesis Burner / Ignitor Issue
« on: September 27, 2018, 05:50:40 AM »
Went to test the new burners I installed on my Genesis and found two issues when testing them out. The ignitor needs to be replaced (no spark, I'll be replacing that today) so I manually lit the first burner with a lighter and the tube lights up fine. Turn on the middle burner and only about 4 inches of the tube lights up. Turn on the third burner and tube lights up fine. Kinda scratching my head to what's causing the issue with the middle burner. Is there something I need to adjust on the manifold assembly? I attached a photo highlighting the areas that will be lit when all burners are on high. Any ideas what the issue could be?

[attachment deleted by admin]
- Andrew

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: Genesis Burner / Ignitor Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 06:33:39 AM »
Looks like the center burner is not getting any gas. The 4" you have is likely residual from the crossover. Check the end of the manifold and clean out the tiny hole with a pick of some kind. You could try swapping the burners temporariliy to be sure. Install the front burner in the middle and see if it is still blocked. You might have to light it manually as it won't get gas from the crossover. Get the idea? I really don't think it's a tube issue though. Oh, and sometimes the igniter just needs a good cleaning unless it totally rusted away. Use emory paper or a fine file.

Marty
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 06:35:10 AM by 56MPG »
Retired

db130

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 07:39:02 AM »
You can't install the middle burner in the front, though.

Ironically, I had the same exact issue on a recent grill that I rehabbed where a new crossover tube was installed, but it went away on its own eventually (the burners themselves were used and I gave them a good scrubbing with a wire brush).  Not sure why you'd have this issue with new burners, though.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:45:08 AM by db130 »
Copper Premium, 2009 22", 2008 18", 1999 Black SSP

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 08:45:46 AM »
Sure you can. The manifold end is identical. For testing purposes you can simply position the tubes onto the manifold in any order. You don’t need the crossover, just use a lighter to light whatever burner you are testing. Might need to prop up the center burner, but the key is to test gas flow only, not the entire eassembly.
Retired

crosseyedphoto

• Smokey Joe
    • Cross Eyed Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 10:03:39 AM »
Thanks for the tips! After I replace the ignitor and clean out the manifold holes - I'll let you guys know. Thanks again!
- Andrew

crosseyedphoto

• Smokey Joe
    • Cross Eyed Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 09:11:41 PM »
She is now good to grill! Installed a new ignitor, disassembled the manifold, cleaned and greased everything and now the grill is back to working flawless. Nice even heat got the grill up to 500 degrees within a few minutes. Can't wait to try her out for the first time tomorrow night!
- Andrew

crosseyedphoto

• Smokey Joe
    • Cross Eyed Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 09:17:17 PM »
Side note, does anyone know the screw size that holds the knob / valve to the manifold?
- Andrew

glend123

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 03:55:51 PM »
Check the regulator

Sent from my XT1254 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

22" yellow kettle, 26" brown kettle, 26" Black kettle, 22" Blue kettle, 22" red performer, 18" smoker, Ranger