Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Heirloom Tomatoes  (Read 1668 times)

Cellar2ful

Heirloom Tomatoes
« on: September 21, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »
I grow heirloom tomatoes from seeds I save every year.  I have 12 heirloom tomato plants and this time of year, I get slammed with all my tomatoes coming in at the same time.  Today is another day of making marinara. Will be making more marinara on Sunday.

For lunch it was Caprese salads.  As a matter of fact, we have been having Caprese salads for lunch every day for about 3 weeks. The bi-color tomatoes are my favorites as they are visually stunning.   

Any other urban vegetable gardeners on the Forum?

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Re: Heirloom Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »
Hell yeah!! I have 6 plants myself! 3 beefeater and 3 cherry tomatoes. I love tomatoes and I’m almost tired of them (not quite!) after having both product drawers in my fridge packed full of tomatoes.

I’m just going to smash them into freezer bags and make stuff with the through winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 10:34:02 PM »
Nice! I havent had a real good tomato since leaving Ohio 15 years ago. We used to grow a big garden and can every thing. Tried to grow a couple tomatoes here but they didnt do very good.

If you have any extra seeds, i have a few pots to put them in

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 10:55:51 AM »
What do you use to pull the stem out of the tomato? When I do a bunch of them, I prefer to use a grapefruit knife. The slight bend and serrated blade is useful to pull the stems, and even those holes that bugs leave sometimes.

Not sure if it is worth the $10 but if you have an old, cheap steak knife laying around.....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 06:00:15 PM »
Those are funky looking tomatoes.  I have two plants in a deck container at the cabin this year.  The sub arctic plentys are finally starting to ripen.  I'm still waiting for the Rutger's heirlooms to ripen.  It fell below freezing up there over Friday night and I improvised protection by bungeeing a raincoat and grill cover around them.  It's now a race to get as many done before frost gets them.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 09:00:37 AM »

@Harleysmoker  -  I sent you a PM.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 10:41:56 AM »
Will you be bringing seeds to Seacliff?  Hint Hint
Dude, relax your chicken.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 12:06:26 PM »
Will you be bringing seeds to Seacliff?  Hint Hint

Sure. I will bring some seeds for you Rick.  This late in the season my tomatoes are looking pretty pitiful but I will bring a couple so everyone can have a little Caprese appetizer.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 07:23:42 AM »
My garden is more rural than urban.

I wasn't able to plant anything last spring except for some flowers.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 09:32:31 PM »
Mrs SJ planted a pair of "Mortgage Lifters" this year (and last), and a "Sweet 100" cherry.  I always trim the woody growth out of the tomato before we enjoy the rest sans any salt or sauce.  They're best a room temp or a little warmer, no.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Cellar2ful

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 07:17:04 AM »

@SmokenJoe  - Correct.  Tomatoes should be stored and served at room temperature. They will begin to loose flavor when refrigerated.