Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WTF Aldi?  (Read 1199 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
WTF Aldi?
« on: September 07, 2018, 05:43:41 PM »
I’ve always been a big fan. In out easy. Stew or chicken soup it’s a one stop shop. I have 2 aldi near me and I went to one the other day and there was rotten produce on display. People complaining and what have you. I chalked it up to a fluke. Today I went to another aldi. Fruit flies buzzing around all the produce again. I grabbed a shrink wrapped head of cabbage to make slaw. As soon as I opened the package it smelled like nasty rotted food and the core was soft and rotted.  Ive noticed a few other products that don’t taste the same as well. That sucks. I’m out if they can’t get their act together.

Has anyone else noticed a change in aldi recently?  Especially the produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Re: WTF Aldi?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 07:54:57 PM »
I too have had issues with produce at Aldi.   I have no basis for what I'm about to say, pure speculation, but I'm guessing their cheap prices may be founded on buying produce that is "late" or near the end of it's shelf life.  Again, don't know any facts on this, just speculation based on experience.  It would make sense that if a grocery store could lower their produce prices, then they can transer to that to everything in the store.

We've had apples (multiple times) that looked firm and solid on the outside, but were brown mush deep near the core.  I've heard that's from sitting too long in cold storage.  (Common to store apples in cold storage for a very long time)  I won't buy apples from Aldi again.

We've also had issues with St. Louis style ribs that turned out to be nothing but gristle and fat.  Don't get me wrong, some of their stuff is great (whole chickens) but most needs lots of caution when buying.

Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 10:47:07 PM »
That's strange... Here in Europe Aldi is also cheap (although this is changing and their prices are getting closer and closer to the prices of regular retailers) but they do not compromise on quality. I suppose that the cases described above are rather accidental and are caused by the way how it's being stored.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 04:53:09 AM »
The Aldi stores in Columbus are always great.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 04:58:00 AM »
I primarily shop at Aldi in Lexington, KY and have never had problems with the quality of goods sold. There are some items that I buy at other stores primarily meats that are at my local butcher or Fresh Market when on sale, however there roaster chickens are very good. I guess if your stores are lacking it may be time for a switch. I find that generally I can buy far more at Aldi with great results. The weekly savings far outweigh the cost of making a quick trip to another store for a few items.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 01:19:30 PM »
As someone who has delivered produce to Aldi distribution centers, I’d say they have pretty high standards for there incoming product.  My guess is that there was an issue with the refrigeration unit on their semi trailer (delivered to both of your stores on same day).  Driver likely didn’t notice that temps were too high/low for produce, or didn’t wanna bother with the problem. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞