Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What is it that makes you love or not care so much for a CGA?  (Read 2000 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
What is it that makes you love or not care so much for a CGA?
« on: August 20, 2018, 08:25:30 AM »

The reason I ask is because there seems to be a huge amount of fans with our brothers in Australia but notsomuch in the US.

I've become obsessed with mine.  I love how little fuel it sips, how creative you can get with cooks and how small a footprint it has.\

Do you have love for Weber CGA's or if not, is there a reason it doesn't do anything for you?
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: What is it that makes you love or not care so much for a CGA?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 08:54:35 AM »
If the stores simply stocked them they would probably sell well. None of the stores stock them in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 09:06:30 AM »
Love for the CGA here Joe. After I cooked on mine I got rid of my SJ’s. Great for indirect cooking, great temp control and one hell of a sear station for reverse sear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »
I'm a big fan and haven't used my Smokey Joe once, since I got the CGA

It's a beast of a little cooker.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 03:52:14 PM »

The reason I ask is because there seems to be a huge amount of fans with our brothers in Australia but notsomuch in the US.

I've become obsessed with mine.  I love how little fuel it sips, how creative you can get with cooks and how small a footprint it has.\

Do you have love for Weber CGA's or if not, is there a reason it doesn't do anything for you?
They are great little cookers I guess. I got a really good deal on mine and bought it mainly to get the newer style handles off it, to swap with my kettles that had the older style. I took it to Colorado and maybe it was the altitude but I was not impressed. I really haven't used it since, except with one of the Little Griddle stainless griddles. Don't really care for a griddle over charcoal much prefer a propane flame for adjustability. I like the way you can divide the cooking grill in half or 60/40 or 70/30, which allows you to work the fire without disturbing to meat. Then you can store the grates in the bottom and you got room for a Weber compact chimney, plus plastic bag of charcoal and utensils and everything you need for a complete carryable cooking solution. Just been cooking in the round so long I I have a hard time thinking rectangularly.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »
Maybe not 70/30. If I remember correctly the cooking grate sections need to rotate 90 degrees to fit in the bottom and the longer side can't be longer the the CGA is wide. You can slide a partial grate back and forth if I remember correctly.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 04:44:19 PM »
If the stores simply stocked them they would probably sell well. None of the stores stock them in my area.

This.

I've only ever seen a CGA in one store.
The OBX Ace group stocks them @ $49.

Next time down I might just finally pull the trigger.
Might as well already got one of everything else! :P

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 04:50:04 PM »
Great little salmon smokers too

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 05:53:00 PM »
Well damn, all the posts I've seen over the years (especially recently) has made me want to try one more and more!
I guess I've never been excited about them in general because I'd have to put it  on something to reach it. I always think to myself, well I've got a grill I don't have to bend over to use...
But especially with that deflector plate you have Joe it really seems to be a versatile little cooker, I'd love to try one out

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 06:27:13 PM »
I think the large number of super cheap Chinese knockoffs that have flooded the market and are incredibly low quality have soured a lot of American consumers 2 that format in portable grills. Nothing wrong with a genuine Weber CGA and actually there's an awful lot right about them but they have to compete with a Chinese junk that is ruining the market for them. Another issue that may be impacting sales is when they are available they're typically about 50% more expensive than a Smokey Joe.
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 06:42:12 PM »
Most of the knockoffs I've are propane
which is even scarier!!!
Most of the burners couldn't survive
more than 2 years of exposure to
the salt in meat drippings.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »
If I camped a lot...maybe? But with the way my kids eat...that thing won't cut it. I have a 14WSM that I haven't even cooked on yet because...it's more practical or me to cook ahead on a 22WSM or 26" kettle to vac seal/freeze or plan meals for the week, than to cook 5-6 days a week...here and there.

I don't hate on CGA's...just not something that's practical for me at this point in time.

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 07:47:48 PM »
I just cooked on my cga! Got rid of my smokey joes 14

Webers rule

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 08:59:22 PM »
I love it!! My kids are young (3 and 6 almost) so if i cook for just me and the wife no point in loading up an 18. I like my sj mostly cuz its 49ers but the cga is my go to for small cooks. Did brauts up top with corn potatos in the basement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 09:12:52 AM »
I don't always cook...but, when I cook, …I cook a boatload. -The Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

That's just the way I cook.

If I camped a lot...maybe? But with the way my kids eat...that thing won't cut it. I have a 14WSM that I haven't even cooked on yet because...it's more practical or me to cook ahead on a 22WSM or 26" kettle to vac seal/freeze or plan meals for the week, than to cook 5-6 days a week...here and there.

I don't hate on CGA's...just not something that's practical for me at this point in time.
regards,
Hal