Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 18" Happy Cooker Gas rescue here in Canada.  (Read 1644 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
18" Happy Cooker Gas rescue here in Canada.
« on: August 18, 2018, 05:34:51 AM »
I actually passed on this as the legs were missing and how far(4hrs one way) I would have to drive to get this.  After about 4 weeks, the kijiji ad disappears. I am somewhat relieved and thinking that this kettle is gone to a good home. About a week or 2 later, the ad. comes back up on kijiji. Same seller.  A week goes by and the curiosity gets best of me to contact the seller. Damn! She still has it and will let me have it for free.

When I was picking it up, she kept on apologizing for how far I had to come and insist on taking it for free, but I refused and payed her what she was asking on the ad. which wasn't much to begin with. 15 can. 

I still need to figure out if gas works and replacement legs, but overall very good condition kettle with new ss grate. The lady had no idea if it was bought here in Canada when asked. All she could confirm was that it was bought for their Camper way back and stored in the garage afterward.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:41:44 AM by greenweb »

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: 18" Happy Cooker Gas rescue here in Canada.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 08:22:18 AM »
Congrats on the score!!!  This model is the “Gas Picnic”.   It’s a simple, cool little design.  Just happened across this thread, so I’m not sure if you’ve got ‘er back in shape. Here’s a few pics of one of mine for reference:

I believe the legs are 19”.  If you need any other pics/info, shoot me a PM.  I’d be happy to help. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 08:37:23 AM »

I still need to figure out if gas works and replacement legs,...

I have a set of HC legs if you need them.  They’re from a kettle, but I think you could cut them down and cap them. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »

I still need to figure out if gas works and replacement legs,...

I have a set of HC legs if you need them.  They’re from a kettle, but I think you could cut them down and cap them. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Thanks for the offer @Mr.CPHo. Are the HC leg dia. larger?  @ Mr.CPHo and @ brewtownbeatdown. When I tried  spare weber legs I had.... the leg socket holes seemed larger.   If HC legs are bigger dia., definitely interested in restoring this kettle with correct size legs.  Let me know what you want for them. I will also cover the shipping.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 03:14:27 PM »
Legs are the same diameter as Weber (1”).  They snug to one side of the socket when you tighten carriage bolt/wing nut.  Original HC legs are plated steel with white leg caps. 

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 03:54:05 PM »
Legs are the same diameter as Weber (1”).  They snug to one side of the socket when you tighten carriage bolt/wing nut.  Original HC legs are plated steel with white leg caps. 

Thanks!  Any close up pic of the mounting area would be appreciated. I had no idea about the carriage bolt tighten with wing nut. I think I can make this work with my spare weber legs.

@Mr.CPHo - Your thoughts and the offer has been much appreciated. I will use what I have as they are the same dia.  Thanks!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 03:58:14 PM »
Thanks!  Any close up pic of the mounting area would be appreciated. I had no idea about the carriage bolt tighten with wing nut. I think I can make this work with my spare weber legs.
I’ll get some pics tonight after work.  I’ll measure the exact length of the legs as well. 

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 04:16:42 PM »
I’ll get some pics tonight after work.  I’ll measure the exact length of the legs as well. 

That would be awesome! Thanks!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 06:34:51 PM »
Designed to pull leg to backside of socket:

There were two different types of hardware used by HC.  Carriage head with wing nut facing out, or slotted machine screw with wing nut facing inward:

Underside of mine:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:50:17 AM by brewtownbeatdown »

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 07:53:10 AM »
BTW...Legs are 19” long.  You’ll have to drill your bolt holes, for 1/4” hardware, 7/8” from top edge of leg.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:56:47 AM by brewtownbeatdown »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 03:19:46 PM »
Got it! I should be able to get those parts easy.  I had no idea before as I got it without legs or the mounting hardwares. This unique kettle will stand on its own legs once again thanks to you. You have been tremendously helpful again. Thanks!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 04:18:31 PM »
Glad I could help.  Looking forward to seeing ‘er brought back to glory.