Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ranch Kettle and 1, 2 or 3 Vortex?  (Read 1325 times)

Robert

• WKC Brave
Ranch Kettle and 1, 2 or 3 Vortex?
« on: August 11, 2018, 06:50:41 PM »
Lets say you wanted to cook a bunch (20) of chicken breast on a Ranch Kettle.  If you were to use a Vortex, how many would you use? Let's say you chose to use three, would you put them together in the middle or space the out?  Would two be enough?  Has anyone ever tried this? 

Thanks,

Robert

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ranch Kettle and 1, 2 or 3 Vortex?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 11:08:05 PM »
I wouldn't Vortex chicken breast. The point of the Vortex is a high heat convection cook that works great for wings and thighs and drums. The window for doneness on breasts is very narrow, so it would be more difficult not to overshoot on the temp. Breasts are better served by a normal two-zone cook.

And who has three Vortexes? (Vortexi?)

Robert

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 05:57:55 AM »
OK then, perhaps not a good idea for breast.  But, work with me here, in theory what do you think would be the ideal set up for a Ranch for cooking chicken parts or Cornish hen halves etc?  I do have access to three Vortex between myself and two sons.  I haven't tried the layout myself yet just to judge by space.  Just trying to tap into the collective brain trust here.

Thanks,

Robert

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 10:49:09 AM »
So the idea of a vortex is to create a stream of heat that emanates from the top it hits the dome of the lid and then falls down around the sides  as radiant heat.. where is the vent on a ranch? Directly on top. So one vortex in the center would not work. Multiple vortex’s would get the grill so hot it would be impossible to control the temperature.  Just use a snake around the Kettle and the meat in the center. Depending how thick and how high it is was determine temp. Been there done that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 01:38:48 PM »
I wouldn't Vortex chicken breast. The point of the Vortex is a high heat convection cook that works great for wings and thighs and drums. The window for doneness on breasts is very narrow, so it would be more difficult not to overshoot on the temp. Breasts are better served by a normal two-zone cook.

Vortex works fine on breasts that have been brined...On a 22 incher anyway...
I got nothing on a ranch...But it seems to me that three V's spaced around the grill would work...Just probably don't fill em full up...

Robert

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 03:22:38 AM »

I got nothing on a ranch...But it seems to me that three V's spaced around the grill would work...Just probably don't fill em full up...

I know that I can get 8 whole boneless, skin on breast on a 26 inch grate as I compete in KCBS competitions using an 85 gallon barrel for chicken.  We do brine them and cook at 275.  Takes about 45-50 minutes to hit 160 degrees.  I have two barrels so could cook 16 at one time, but need to cook 20.  But I have the Ranch calling my name saying "psst, hey buddy over here". 

Thanks,

Robert

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 10:26:22 AM »
I’d say two should give you the temp you need.  I’d personally just bank the coals on one side.   

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 10:31:32 AM »

I know that I can get 8 whole boneless, skin on breast on a 26 inch grate as I compete in KCBS competitions using an 85 gallon barrel for chicken.  We do brine them and cook at 275.  Takes about 45-50 minutes to hit 160 degrees.  I have two barrels so could cook 16 at one time, but need to cook 20.  But I have the Ranch calling my name saying "psst, hey buddy over here". 

Thanks,

Robert

Just did my first KCBS a few weeks ago and did two butts and my brisket on my RK using the Slow n Sear Ranch Kettle Edition.  I could have definitely fit a third butt.  A lot of the people in the comp came by to eyeball my RK up close.  You see a WSM at comps on a regular basis but not Ranch Kettles!   

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »
Great looking Team, Mike.  How did you do?

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 01:30:25 AM »
After thinking a bit, instead of devices, just lay out a couple chimneys of charcoal one briquette deep on one side. Place the chicken at the appropriate temp away from the coals. The charcoal isn't hottest in a Vortex - it's hottest old style, just laid out on the charcoal grate because of the air flow.

I would do a test cook. Breasts are way different from wings on the Vortex.

And an aside - Mike, you rule. Nice work there.