Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Paella on the Performer  (Read 1734 times)

Pat G

• WKC Brave
Paella on the Performer
« on: August 06, 2018, 07:15:33 AM »
Finally broke down and ordered a paella pan.  Broke it in with a traditional paella.

Got some fancy ingredients.

Started with some Spanish chorizo.

Then some chicken thighs.

Next I sauteed some onions, added the spices and the grated tomato.

Added the chicken stock, rice, chicken and chorizo.

Finally added the seafood.

All ready to go.

This was some tasty stuff.  I can't wait to try some other dishes with my new pan.  Thanks for looking. 8)
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Paella on the Performer
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 07:25:30 AM »
Wow that looks delicious, awesome cook!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 08:04:54 AM »
That looks great!  I’ve only had paella once that my wife made. It was awesome and I bug her to make it again. She says it’s too much work lol. I may have to pick up a pan and try it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

FTTH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:05:43 PM »
It’s very easy to make you just have to prep things and plan ahead. That looks great Pat.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 03:15:17 PM »
Looks really good!!!

Dimi555

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 05:09:04 AM »
I have a gas range in the house with a large burner. That's where I cook my paellas (never EVER with chorizo, though. Conejo sure, but chorizo? I mean that's like pouring sangria and grating some manchego on top of the paella. Close to right, but totally wrong.). Sorry, i digress.

Any advantage, besides hanging out outside to cooking a paella on the grill? In Spain,  they typically use propane burners. Just wondering.

Pat G

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 05:45:58 AM »
I have a gas range in the house with a large burner. That's where I cook my paellas (never EVER with chorizo, though. Conejo sure, but chorizo? I mean that's like pouring sangria and grating some manchego on top of the paella. Close to right, but totally wrong.). Sorry, i digress.

Any advantage, besides hanging out outside to cooking a paella on the grill? In Spain,  they typically use propane burners. Just wondering.

Not sure why you are asking for any input.  Sounds like you got it all figured out.   
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

Bo31047

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 06:46:13 AM »
Nice    Paella is a great dish that is often overlooked.   I recently completed my first weber paella (have done many kamado ones) and was very pleased.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 08:16:38 AM »
That looks great!  I’ve only had paella once that my wife made. It was awesome and I bug her to make it again. She says it’s too much work lol. I may have to pick up a pan and try it myself.

I don't understand why people consider paella "too much work".  Once the minimal prep is done, it's a simple dish to cook.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 08:21:02 AM »

I don't understand why people consider paella "too much work".  Once the minimal prep is done, it's a simple dish to cook.

You can tell my wife that for me.  It was awesome when she made it. I’m afraid mine won’t be as good.

FTTH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 08:49:36 AM »
[/quote]

I like chorizo in my chicken paella. I guess you can then call it a rice dish if you want. Cooking a paella outside with an open flame is the traditional way to cook paella. Gas burners are used for convenience either because they’re city dwellers or prefer it like you average gas grill BBQer. I prefer the charcoal and wood method because it’s more satisfying for me and the combustion of solid fuel imparts a nice flavor to the rice. Additionally you can close the lid on the kettle to cook the rice and seafood on top without using a newspaper or aluminum foil to finish it off (steam it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 09:15:27 AM »

To answer your second question first; It's because this is a Weber kettle forum, so most of the food we show is cooked on a Weber kettle. Is there an advantage? To us yes... the charcoal adds another layer of flavour that is not there with gas cooking.  Whether most people now cook with propane is irrelevant, because around 40 yrs ago and before most people didn't. They used wood or charcoal.

As for using rabbit, sure that may be more traditional, but chicken is much easier to find. As for Spanish Chorizo sausage, I've pretty much found that as a standard ingredient in any paella recipe I've seen, both from Spain and abroad. Sure there are some without, but not too many.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 08:09:08 PM »
How much charcoal and what vent settings?  Was the bottom of the rice crispy?

Dimi555

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 11:10:38 PM »
Thanks, Darko. but, this is also a forum where people are often interested in recipe details and [https://www.thelocal.es/20161005/jamie-oliver-messed-with-paella-and-spain-didnt-like-it]. But, whatever, "toe-may-toe/toe-mah-toe". 

I reckon I'll just have to try cooking a paella on the grill to check for that added "flavour."

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 09:05:20 AM »
Thanks, Darko. but, this is also a forum where people are often interested in recipe details and [https://www.thelocal.es/20161005/jamie-oliver-messed-with-paella-and-spain-didnt-like-it]. But, whatever, "toe-may-toe/toe-mah-toe". 

I reckon I'll just have to try cooking a paella on the grill to check for that added "flavour."
That was an interesting website. Thank you for that. I didn't realize that Chorizo was not traditional.

As for recipe details, of course we are interested. It doesn't matter how it's cooked, as long as it is tasty. It's just that most recipes are done on a Weber just because that is the main focus of this forum.