Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My 18" kettle mods  (Read 1697 times)

avega2792

• WKC Brave
My 18" kettle mods
« on: July 26, 2018, 01:33:31 PM »
I added a few things to my first ever Weber kettle and so far I have really enjoyed the changes.

First was the temp gauge. I ordered a 3" gauge, and although it is a little big for my 18" kettle, it works great. Since I don't like wearing my glasses unless I absolutely have to, that big gauge makes it easy to read at a distance. I was thinking of getting a Smokey Joe or Jumbo Joe and turning it into a WSM, but since I already have this 18" kettle with a temp gauge I may just make a smoker out of a steamer pot and use it on my kettle.

I read that the 18" once came with the OTG option but was discontinued at some point, so I picked up one up locally and I really like that I don't have to fiddle with that pan anymore!

Last thing I added was the magnetic hooks on either side of the handle. They were a cheap impulse buy at Harbor Freight and turns out they work pretty well. I'll be adding these to all my kettles!

As for now, I think that's all I will be modding on this kettle. It's a great daily user and my favorite out of 3 kettles so far.

[attachment deleted by admin]

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
Re: My 18" kettle mods
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:40:14 PM »
those magnetic hooks are a nice idea.  How much weight can they hold before they start slipping?
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »
I hang fairly light weight SS tongs on the hooks, but they actually hold on pretty tight. Even removing them takes more effort than you'd think. I don't see any of your average grilling utensils being too heavy to hang off of these, but like I said, they were cheap and for the $3 or so they cost it's worth a try!

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 12:39:15 PM »
I'll have to keep an eye out for them next time im in harbor freight. 
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 12:58:02 PM »
I like it, and that thermo's in a grate spot.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 03:20:05 PM »
I like it, and that thermo's in a grate spot.

Right, I'd been reading posts here for a while before I signed up and did my homework. That's how I knew to place the thermo just under the vent next to the grate to get more accurate temp reads when smoking. I've only had that kettle for a couple months and thanks to everybody in WKC I've learned a lot about getting the most out of my kettle!