Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My OTS to OTG mod  (Read 1240 times)

cafe-con-leche

• Smokey Joe
My OTS to OTG mod
« on: July 20, 2018, 10:02:25 AM »
I recently got ahold of this (I think yr 1999) kettle with OTS, but the sweep is rusted bad so I had to replace it, and I also got a hold of an used OTG ash catcher, so decided to do the OTS to OTG retro fit conversion.

I know there are many discussions and web pages on how to convert OTS to OTG, mostly tap a screw or hose clamp it. First problem is the ash catcher clip that supposed to go in the leg socket, since there is no slot in this model of leg socket, the clip would be in the way, so I just use a plier and bent it inward, that way it won't be in the way and no sharp edges. Then I was trying to use some spare hose clamp to mount it, but maybe the clamp I have (Breeze SS clamp) is extra stiff, I couldn't get it to wrap around the leg socket and the ash catcher clip without needing to bent the ash catcher wall, just too bulky. So I decided to just use a 12AWG solid copper wire I have laying around, strip it, wrap, and twist it till tight. The leg socket is angled outward, so this wouldn't fall off. All 3 legs done within 15min. Copper melting point is near 2000F, so no problem on the temperature. If you are considering the conversion, I personally think this is probably the easiest method, and no permanent damage to either parts.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My OTS to OTG mod
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 10:21:29 AM »
cool, get some super high heat black paint, paint the copper before use and you won't even see it
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: My OTS to OTG mod
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 02:27:08 PM »
Great idea! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.