Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: who goes camping?  (Read 3121 times)

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
Re: who goes camping?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 06:49:24 AM »
Hi there!

I also go camping every Memorial Day and Labor Day. We are a minimum of 7 adults and sometimes a maximum of 20. We do go to a park that has electricity so we take an electric percolator, a weber OTG 22” and a Colman 2 burner camp stove. We are a large group so we try not to be wasteful of food or supplies so this is my input.

My saving grace are my lists.
Plan your menu for all meals, include the meal after your set up. (That one should be simple because you’ll be exhausted by the time you want to start dinner. Also try not to make an elaborate breakfast the day you pack up. (We just use whatever is leftover, big fan of steak and eggs lol)
I have a spreadsheet that I use every time i go and it helps me with inventory i have and what i need to buy. If you want i can sent it to you via email.

I enjoy camping and look forward to it every trip. Even though its a lot of prep i find it relaxing.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Awesome.  Lists are definitely a good idea!  I'll take a copy of your spreadsheet for sure....i'll pm you.

If you are drive up camping where space and weight isn't a concern, then get a Camp Chef 2 or 3 burner stove.  Can have coffee ready in about 5 mins.

We have an extended family camp out a couple of times per year.  We roll with at least 2 Camp Chef Big Gas Grills giving us 6 burners rated at 30K btu each.   

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Appreciate it.....sounds like I'm expanding my normal CL searches past just weber stuff today!  Gonna need a camp stove fore sure.....and whatever else I can find cheap!

I absolutely love to camp. My wife and I started camping together when we were dating and love to go on vacations with camping involved. We do now have a lot more than we did in the beginning but we also have minimal setups.
One thing you must make sure of if you want to bring a kettle is what the fire restrictions are, during high fire risk times they will restrict charcoal cooking, and even sometimes I have seen propane cooking restricted to inside an RV. Kinda rough but they are just trying to protect from wild fires.

OK we have 3 set ups we use, If we are just in the jeep doing tent camping i bring along a 14 inch Smokey Joe and a Stok Tourist, The tourist is about the size of a 14 inch kettle and uses those disposable propane bottles. it is a great grill. This set up can cook a lot but is not going to feed a bunch of people.

Our next set up is if we are towing my trailer I designed for pulling behind the jeep down 4x4 trails. It is big enough to have a proper camp setup. I carry 2 easyups, some fold out shelving, camp chairs and tables along with a lot of kitchen gear, for cooking I have an 18 inch SJ and a Coleman stove that runs off those disposable propane bottles. I also carry 2 dutch ovens for cooking on the ground and a large one for setting up on a tripod over a fire. With this setup we can feed quite a few people. It has taken years to set up what is worth taking and what not to but this is how we love to go exploring down Jeep trails. I have pulled that trailer over the Rubicon Trail. from pots and pans to full spice rack the trailer is set up for making camping in the wilderness easy.

My final set up I do not really consider camping, it is our 20 foot travel trailer. What can I say, of course that means a 22 inch kettle comes along and the sky is the limit, but we mainly use this if we are going to a National Park and staying in one place for the week. I do have to admit having a shower and a flushing toilet is nice however, as well as a refrigerator.

The off roading setup sounds awesome!  I'd love to see that custom trailer!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 06:52:20 AM »
Camp coffee in a on-the-stove old school percolator!! Omg, best smell in the world, waking up to that coffee perking. Found one at a yard sale a couple weeks ago and have been making it at home! Lol.

We always brought a stove, at least a 2 burner because you want a way to make your eggs and bacon that’s quick.

I love Dutch oven cooking and do a lot of it at home so I’d bring those too, but that’s me.

Here’s another vote for prepping everything. Young kids means plenty of snacks too so make sure you bring some stuff like sliced oranges or apples as I’m sure you don’t only want them hitting chips and cookies all the time. Maybe some cheese sticks, nuts and cut up lunch meat too.

One thing I brought were those “add water and simmer” rice or pasta side dishes to round out a meal. They are dead simple, pack flat, don’t require prep and kids typically like them.

I freeze meat in the marinade so as it thaws, it marinated, like teriyaki pork chops or chicken.

I typically packed a regular cold cooler and a “cold cold cooler”. Regular cold is packed with ice and frozen stuff but cold cold is packed with frozen and dry ice. I’m favoring dry ice these days when I take a long drive to an outdoor concert because of the lack of leaking water and the fact that it just keeps stuff colder. Easier to deal with if you buy things on the road to add to the cooler too. The dry ice comes packed in a plastic bag, I just buffer it with a paper grocery bag and it’s all good.

Have a great trip and make sure to upload some pics!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 07:42:33 AM »
Hi there!

I also go camping every Memorial Day and Labor Day. We are a minimum of 7 adults and sometimes a maximum of 20. We do go to a park that has electricity so we take an electric percolator, a weber OTG 22” and a Colman 2 burner camp stove. We are a large group so we try not to be wasteful of food or supplies so this is my input.

My saving grace are my lists.
Plan your menu for all meals, include the meal after your set up. (That one should be simple because you’ll be exhausted by the time you want to start dinner. Also try not to make an elaborate breakfast the day you pack up. (We just use whatever is leftover, big fan of steak and eggs lol)
I have a spreadsheet that I use every time i go and it helps me with inventory i have and what i need to buy. If you want i can sent it to you via email.

I enjoy camping and look forward to it every trip. Even though its a lot of prep i find it relaxing.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Awesome.  Lists are definitely a good idea!  I'll take a copy of your spreadsheet for sure....i'll pm you.

If you are drive up camping where space and weight isn't a concern, then get a Camp Chef 2 or 3 burner stove.  Can have coffee ready in about 5 mins.

We have an extended family camp out a couple of times per year.  We roll with at least 2 Camp Chef Big Gas Grills giving us 6 burners rated at 30K btu each.   

Appreciate it.....sounds like I'm expanding my normal CL searches past just weber stuff today!  Gonna need a camp stove fore sure.....and whatever else I can find cheap!

I absolutely love to camp. My wife and I started camping together when we were dating and love to go on vacations with camping involved. We do now have a lot more than we did in the beginning but we also have minimal setups.
One thing you must make sure of if you want to bring a kettle is what the fire restrictions are, during high fire risk times they will restrict charcoal cooking, and even sometimes I have seen propane cooking restricted to inside an RV. Kinda rough but they are just trying to protect from wild fires.

OK we have 3 set ups we use, If we are just in the jeep doing tent camping i bring along a 14 inch Smokey Joe and a Stok Tourist, The tourist is about the size of a 14 inch kettle and uses those disposable propane bottles. it is a great grill. This set up can cook a lot but is not going to feed a bunch of people.

Our next set up is if we are towing my trailer I designed for pulling behind the jeep down 4x4 trails. It is big enough to have a proper camp setup. I carry 2 easyups, some fold out shelving, camp chairs and tables along with a lot of kitchen gear, for cooking I have an 18 inch SJ and a Coleman stove that runs off those disposable propane bottles. I also carry 2 dutch ovens for cooking on the ground and a large one for setting up on a tripod over a fire. With this setup we can feed quite a few people. It has taken years to set up what is worth taking and what not to but this is how we love to go exploring down Jeep trails. I have pulled that trailer over the Rubicon Trail. from pots and pans to full spice rack the trailer is set up for making camping in the wilderness easy.

My final set up I do not really consider camping, it is our 20 foot travel trailer. What can I say, of course that means a 22 inch kettle comes along and the sky is the limit, but we mainly use this if we are going to a National Park and staying in one place for the week. I do have to admit having a shower and a flushing toilet is nice however, as well as a refrigerator.

The off roading setup sounds awesome!  I'd love to see that custom trailer!

Yeah, finding out about the Camp Chef stoves was a game changer.  A few of us used to bring Coleman 3 burners along with some Coleman fuel.   Those things were great back in the day, but man, they can be a real pita!

We were using those Coleman on one campout (and fighting with them) when a friend came along and joined us on a Friday.  He saw us fussing with the Colemans and said "you guys have to check this out". He wen to his trunk and came out with a 2 burner Camp Chef Explorer.  Set it up in 2 mins and started cooking in it.

Absolute game changer.  An uncle picked up the same model shortly thereafter and I snagged a 3 burner.  The next year, I stumbled into another 3 burner and upgraded my uncle's situation.

Setting up the kitchen is a breeze.  Slide each of the 4 legs on, tighten the thumbscrews.  Adjust the leg levelers, hook up the propane tank, turn the valves and hit the igniter.

BTW, the camp chef explorer 2 burner is $100 at Amazon.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 07:45:57 AM »
Also, some Costco's have the Camp Chef Tundra, 3 burner with a griddle on clearance for $110

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 08:45:21 AM »
So where does everyone find dry ice for their coolers?....I'm not sure I've ever seen it for sale.

When it comes to those camp chef stoves....am I destined to lug along a 20lb tank of propane for those?
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 09:22:18 AM »

So where does everyone find dry ice for their coolers?....I'm not sure I've ever seen it for sale.
I buy dry ice at Publix, a SE grocery chain, though not all locations carry it.  It is stored in a separate cooler than the regular ice and the customer service people grab it and wrap it before selling.  (Do a little research on safe handling of dry ice). 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 09:56:52 AM »

I buy dry ice at Publix, a SE grocery chain, though not all locations carry it.  It is stored in a separate cooler than the regular ice and the customer service people grab it and wrap it before selling.  (Do a little research on safe handling of dry ice). 

Yeah i know it needs to be handled with care; and I dont think I've seen it at any stores near me.  I'll check with the beer distributor. If he cant get I'm sure he could tell me where I need to go locally.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 11:33:57 AM »
My $0.02  :-)
Small, powerful and handy !
The Weber Kettle of single burner Colman stoves.

SacramentoWeber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 04:57:33 PM »
We head up to the Sierra just about every weekend during the hot summer months in the valley. I bring a 22” every time. I bought one of those hitch racks for the sole purpose of carrying a grill, charcoal, coolers and accessories on it.

I love doing long cooks while camping. I try to get the meat on early in the AM and we have a big feast in the afternoon. This weekend we are going to do a brisket on Saturday up in the hills.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 06:08:59 PM »

When it comes to those camp chef stoves....am I destined to lug along a 20lb tank of propane for those?

Nope.  You can use 5lb tanks like on SSP's or there's even adapters for 1lb tanks like on modern Performers (though I have no idea how much cook time they will provide.

I can tell you that a 20lb tank seems to last forever.   Dinner on Thursday, breakfast, lunch and dinner on Friday and Saturday then breakfast on Sunday.  Cooking a ton of stuff for 25 ppl at breakfast and dinner.  Probably flip each burner 2 or 3 times.   Basically, every burner on medium high heat for at least 30 mins per meal. .   Each three burner doesn't even use 1/2 a tank.

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2018, 01:06:29 PM »
I have camping equipment that spans the gamut from  Backpacking, I just want to boil water, to Boyscouts, full on Patrol box portable kitchen.:)

When I am just car camping,  I bring a Weber CGA, a one or two burner coleman stove, (mine is white gas because I am old school), Pot to boil water and cast iron skillet to fry in.
I will also bring a Dutch oven, it makes the best cinnamon rolls for breakfast and blueberry cobbler for desert.

For coffee, I bring a plastic Mellita cone with paper filter and ground coffee.  Boil water on the coleman and pour it through the grounds into a large insulated mug.
To me that is camp coffee but my twentysomething son calls it a pour over.  Who knew it was so shi shi.

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2018, 06:57:46 PM »
Dry ice:  there are numerous stores who sell it.  GFS, Meijer, walmart. Not all locations.  Your best bet is to google “where can I get dry ice in xxx” substituting your town for the xxx.  You’ll get a bunch of hits.

Airgas has a retail distribution division for dry ice called Penguin. If you go to http://dryiceideas.com/ you can enter your zip code and find a distributer. (This is the brand most Walmart’s, grocery stores sell). Usually it’s a 10lb bag, you can get multiples of ten but can’t get like 5 lbs.  the pack it up in tens. . I bought it in the northern Chicago suburbs last weekend for about $15.

SacramentoWeber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2018, 03:43:21 PM »
I took this brisket cooking beast up to Sugar Pine Reservoir this weekend. The OTP worked out great. It was nice having the extra table space. I usually take a vintage kettle with me when we go up to the hills. However, since we are getting into fire season, I wanted to make sure I took a kettle with an ash bucket. I think I’m going to stick with the OTP for a while because of how much I liked the extra table space while cooking at the campground.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2018, 04:09:45 PM »
I took this brisket cooking beast up to Sugar Pine Reservoir this weekend. The OTP worked out great. It was nice having the extra table space. I usually take a vintage kettle with me when we go up to the hills. However, since we are getting into fire season, I wanted to make sure I took a kettle with an ash bucket. I think I’m going to stick with the OTP for a while because of how much I liked the extra table space while cooking at the campground.

Nice!

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »
I still camp, sith groups and just with the family. If we are going with extended family (my wife is one of 9, and all the asscilated neices, nephews, grands etc...) so we tend to take  a LOT of gear. Folding tables, multiple 2 burner camp stoves, etc... But even then, most of our cooking is done on a couple of Smokey Joes. Or a grill grate directly over a camp fire... Pretty much anything BUT the campground provided grate. Yuck!
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.