Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermometer recommendations  (Read 1647 times)

yippee

• Smokey Joe
Thermometer recommendations
« on: July 06, 2018, 01:37:52 PM »
 Not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not, hopefully it is. I recently posted an introduction post about getting back into the world of charcoal grilling, I have been highly considering a weber original kettle. Either way, if I go with just the standard original or the premium,  it either wont have a thermometer or would have one mounted up high. I want to drill and mount a thermometer closer to the grilling surface. I was wanting to get some recommendations for some good thermometers for this use. I want something that's accurate and also something I won't be having to replace every time I turn around. Let me know what y'all recommend please. Thanks in advance!

AgentSmith

• Smokey Joe
Thermometer recommendations
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »
Edit.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 11:12:51 AM by AgentSmith »

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
Re: Thermometer recommendations
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 06:04:26 AM »
I bought a 2 pack of these, because I liked the color... and I like the fact that it was geared for smoking with the color zones, and only goes to normal cooking temps (550) using more space on the dial for that smaller range.  (It doesn't go to 800 degs with smaller and less accurate gradiations for the same amount of needle movement  There's probably a better way to explain, lol.)

After I received it... I was even more pleased.  The listing doesn't make it clear... but it adjustable.  The stem has a small slot on it, and you can calibrate it.  That's got two benefits:  First... you can make sure it is accurate to begin with (so I checked it against my electronic probe thermometers... and it was good).  Secondly, you can adjust it how you like.  I've read of others mounting it in the top (just like weber does), but then adjusting it downward so it is reading the equivalent of the temperature near the grate.   A handy idea if you'd like to do that.  However, like you... I mounted mine low on the kettle lid, as near as i could to the grate. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHCQLN7/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_4_w

SO, the price is right... thus far (after 2 months) it hasn't gone screwy... so I give it 5 starts.  I bought the two pack, just assuming I'll pick up another kettle sooner or later.  ;-)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:10:25 AM by baglorious »